• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Slitsnipe

May 29, 2017
Hi there I'm new to this, the reason for the star is I used to spearfish with a poles pear, nothing big time. But I took a 3 year break while in the army. So I'm home now and I just bought a cressi comanche 75 last night on amazon, and was wondering if this is a good starter gun? I live in the Gulf side of florida, and does this gun float? Does the line? Is it hard to set up? Is it good? Can i use a reel woth it? Any and all info helps, especially if you have used it before, also for spearfishing off shore should I carry a powerhead or maybe wait a little for that?

Good starter gun? Yes. For the Uk and places with limited visibility. The waters of Florida can be gin clear - in which case a longer speargun might be more appropriate (100cm+)*. But as long as the fish come within range you should be ok.

Does it float? I would be surprised if it doesn't. Most spearguns are intended to float. Some spearguns only float without the spear (e.g. after a shot has been taken).

Does the spear-line float? It doesn't matter but probably not. You float-line (the line to your diver-down marker float/buoy) should float though. Nylon rope doesn't usually float but (usually much cheaper) polypropylene ropes usually do float.

Is it hard to set-up? No, pretty straightforward: take a look at the excellent Dummies Guide to Rigging** a Speargun thread on this forum. This short thread is particulary apt: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/cressi-comanche-mono-line-crimping-botch.102217/#post-938713
and/or youtube.

Is it good? Yes, can be very good value (depending on the price you pay of course). It was used, in various sizes, by a spearfishing World Champion.

Reel? Yes, you can use a reel with it.

Powerhead?!
That is a very specialized piece of equipment and I don't feel qualified to comment on it beyond saying that they are generally used on much larger, heavier equipment and for dealing with, I think , large shark - which most spearos avoid (I recommend that you avoid sharks - for environmental as well as safety reasons). You don't need powerheads for the vast majority of spearfishing, even for very large pelajic fish*.

*Note: Very large fish do however require special consideration, equipment and tactics. Not really a beginner subject for most.
** https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/dummies-guide-to-rigging-a-speargun.64504/

So apparently my cressi 75 came pre setup, is that a bad thing? And another question when I fire it do i have to put the line back on the gun a certain way when I reload?

And also do i need a float line for dives that are no deeper than 20-30 feet?

So apparently my cressi 75 came pre setup, is that a bad thing? And another question when I fire it do i have to put the line back on the gun a certain way when I reload?
That's generally a good thing, as long as it was set-up correctly. My first speargun came set-up by Rob Allen's Dive Factory - lovely job and a good example to learn from.

Yes, of course there is a certain way to reload, although I recall the Cressi has numerous alternative "quick clips", presumably to allow faster resetting of the spearline in hurried conditions (e.g. competition ).

And also do i need a float line for dives that are no deeper than 20-30 feet?
Depth is not the issue. It is simply the link to your marker buoy. Where you attach the other end is open to debate (e.g. to a weight/small anchor, to the butt of your speargun, to your spearline via a break-away-rig, to a loop on your weight belt,...?)

So on the bottom of my gun there is like little notches, would I clip my firing line into this while actively using the gun? Cause it a actually really hard to put it around the front and back hook

So on the bottom of my gun there is like little notches, would I clip my firing line into this while actively using the gun? Cause it a actually really hard to put it around the front and back hook

Like this?

Yes, that is normal. Although I recall that the Cressi Comanche additionally has a few alternative "quick load" clips (at least that's what they appeared to be to me) on the side(s) and bottom:

Usually this is the easy part of the loading process, so I am wondering if:
a. you have enough stretch in your spear-line
b. you are rigging the line correctly?

Do you have a muzzle bungee fitted to your spearline, e.g.

That adds stretch, making loading easier, and it acts as a shock-absorber once you have speared a fish.

Is your spear-line made of nylon monofilament (which stretches) or kevlar/Dyneema (which doesn't stretch)?

Last edited:
Hi there I'm new to this, the reason for the star is I used to spearfish with a poles pear, nothing big time. But I took a 3 year break while in the army.
I don't know anything about the gun but thank you for your service and what you did for our country.

Reactions: Selenium
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…