• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to you all, just saying Hi...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

journeymanMT

Mar 4, 2011
I'm fired up - headed back to the BVIs in about 5 mo. time, for a sailing / SNORKELING vacation. The water there is great, lots to see, and a great time with family away from demands of work, etc.
4th trip back on a sailboat, where we get to spend almost 2 weeks traveling leisurely around, setting anchor, then swimming for HOURS...

Have recently learned about some safety risks associated with it my past snorkel diving, and am considering taking a Freediving Intermediate course (good for 132'). Any thoughts by anyone? I've made it to ~110' or so, but it was scary and I'm sure unsafe, having looked into it after the fact. Only good things I can say about it, is that it is a long way down, my personal best, and I DID turn around before the bottom - followed "inner vision" to say it was time to turn around NOW. I'm sure it avoided problems that I stopped when I did.

I'm interested in what I can learn from a community of people who like doing some similar things.
Don't know what else I can contribute except enthusiasm, and I figure that's worth quite a bit!
Regards,
journeymanMT

Welcome from Texas! What a PB! Knowing your own limits (and I hope you had a backup diver) is what it's all about. Yes stretch the envelope but in increments.

Hi Journeyman, welcome to DB. Its a community from which you can learn a lot.

You are in almost exactly the same place I was when I knew a course was needed. The rules are different below about 70 feet (sound familiar?) and I did not know what those rules were, felt very unsafe around 30 m. A course with show you how to do depth easily, comfortably and safely.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT