• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New web for 'Dive Site Info' different I hope

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jason

Jan 13, 2003
Hi all,

I have started to put together a new web site with the purpose of providing information about the specifics of dive sites.

Too big a task??? Tell me about it!

I have put together the bare bones and some example content and would love to get your comments.

The site is at scubastuffonline.co.uk (a temp site) and the place to see the intent of the site is in

Menu item \South east Asia (cause I've dived there a lot) \Indonesia (my best divng) \ Bali and then choose a couple of sites.

Othe content

Menu item \South east Asia \ Thailand \ koh tao

Please posts all comments good or bad to this site, and if you have any site info let me have it and I'll try and get it on the site a.s.a.p.

Thanks

Jason

Thanks for the info on your site . Looks good and works well. I've never produced a site using a database before. Is it complicated?

I'm tempted to say "No, it's relatively easy"
But that's after doing that stuff for the past 5 years.

If you have the right examples, you should be able to get things working within a few hours.
Have you programmed before? Experience with a programming language will definitely help.

I can send you some of the sources of my site if you like, so you have an example.

First thing is to check if your internet provider supports the use of a database and programming language (like PHP)
Most of them allow some sort of use of PHP, depending on your account you're allowed to use MySQL (free databaste).

good resources to start with are www.mysql.com
and www.php.net

nice thing about a database is that you can set it up to do things automatically. You only input the basic stuff and program the layout around it once.
Saves a lot of work
:duh

Sounds like fun :) I have done some very basic programing but not for a while and would love to give it a go.

~If you could send me the sample files you mentioned I'd be greatfull.

How would you like to send them, By email, MSn messenger, or other?

once I've got my site running as I'd like would you be interested in reciprical links between our sites?

Jason

I'll send the sources by email
They are not really nice documented, but you can always contact me to ask what stuff means.

Thanks for that, I have looked at this site before and whilst it is similar it focuses on providing information about dive operators.

Great, but not what I am trying to do.

take a look at

http://www.scubastuffonline.co.uk

click on 'Bali' then 'Blue lagoon'

This is what I want to do, give divers a map of the site and info about the site itself, how to access it, what type of dive, what they should expect to see etc. etc.

I haven't yet found a site doing this, let me know if you do.

I have been looking at your code and checking out my host service for php and mySQL, no probs there but I do have a headache already.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT