• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New WR GT

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Careful.

Originally posted by fuzz
The only thing about that Ulua was that it was speared on scuba :naughty

So what?? There are many locales and many species that are only going to be taken on SCUBA. Careful with the :naughty noise.

Re: Careful.

Originally posted by icarus pacific
So what?? There are many locales and many species that are only going to be taken on SCUBA. Careful with the :naughty noise.

It's definitely a personal opinion, but I can't approve of shooting ulua in caves with scuba as this one was(the mysterious 191-lb. one).

Uluas are particular about their "houses" & it's very rare to find these in waters nearshore. The areas I frequently dive in Oahu have none. To go to one of these rare fish houses, park yourself outside, & blast away isn't sporting. It's massacre.

I would not criticize anyone for scuba spearfishing off of the rigs or other specialized locales. There is a time & place for that. I do not believe this is one of those times/places.

To each their own, just my 2 cents ;)

Here's your change...

Originally posted by fuzz
To go to one of these rare fish houses, park yourself outside, & blast away isn't sporting.

I would not criticize anyone for scuba spearfishing off of the rigs or other specialized locales.

So...which one is it? :confused: I gotta figure this thing was deep to have made it for so long and that there is a specialized locale. While I prefer to get dinner on a breath, I have zero, as in no problem doing it on air or gas, with the following important caveat that you're missing- If it's legal, if you have a license, if you have the ability and you don't make it a daily deal, go for it! If on the other hand, you don't do it or choose not to, write your rep and see if you can get it changed on the next ballot. But do so from waaay far away.;)

Shooting lings in August is the same thing- they come in and nest and the next thing you know it's a turkey shoot. One ling once a week, no worries, but you go hold a comp there/then, just figure on tossing that place for the year. But, it's legal...

Re: Here's your change...

Originally posted by icarus pacific
While I prefer to get dinner on a breath, I have zero, as in no problem doing it on air or gas, with the following important caveat that you're missing- If it's legal, if you have a license, if you have the ability and you don't make it a daily deal, go for it!

Shooting lings in August is the same thing- they come in and nest and the next thing you know it's a turkey shoot. One ling once a week, no worries, but you go hold a comp there/then, just figure on tossing that place for the year. But, it's legal...

That caveat is pretty much what I was going for - that you don't make a daily deal of it. I rescind my earlier finger-wagging.

My main beef is that I've been hearing & unfortunately witnessing a lot more scuba hunting in recent years... not so much for sport, but for commercial hunting purposes. In Hawaii, this couples spearing of larger species while surrounding the reef area with a net to ensure capture of smaller species. While many of these commercial divers are smart & preserve their "spots", I've gone to some areas only to see scraps of netting tangled around coral where there was once a thriving fish population. I've even seen this in a marine conservation district. :(

I realize this depicts an unjust stereotype of scuba hunting in my mind, but after seeing groups of commercial divers at the dock gloating over their catches and first-handed witnessing the areas decimated by their activities, it is a stigmatism that is hard for me to part with. :head

I'll hold my tongue on scuba-spearing unless it's for some board-meeting ;)

On another note, I understand where you're coming from on the ling thing, but not sure what you are trying to get at since it directly contradicts your Caveat:
If it's legal, if you have a license, if you have the ability and you don't make it a daily deal, go for it!

:confused:

Hmmm..... Spearing on scuba.... Hmmmm

:yack

despite being unsporting and lacking any of the ethos of Fair Chase, yes It's legal and yes there are more and more people taking the slaker route and shooting fish on scuba.

seems like cheating to me and is personally sickening, but yeah - if its legal then it's your right as a permit holder to make your own choice.

:head

For some silly reason, I thought that north of Pt Conception scuba spearing wasn't legal. Perhaps that was just abalone . . .

With scuba - abalone is offlimits, but fish are fair-game unless I've been misinformed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT