• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newb here from Southern California.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MesaDiver

Mar 5, 2017
Hello everyone, fairly new to the diving scene. Just got scuba certified in October. And I'm currently going the the commercial diver training program at Santa Barbara City College. I plan to pick up spear fishing and free diving as my new hobby. Any suggestions on whether I should start out with a spear gun or pole spear?

Welcome to Deeper Blue. I'm going to go against what many others may advise and suggest that you start with a speargun. Many will say that you should start with a pole spear to improve stalking skills, but I'm not sure that really helps- it just makes it harder.

I should confess that I've never used a pole spear. I started with a Hawaiian sling in the early 1950s in Florida, but that would not be suitable in the kelp and poorer visibility of California. The shaft is not tethered so all but the smallest fish would just swim out of sight with it.

Welcome to Deeperblue! I got my scuba certification in college as well, and joined DB soon after. This site is a great place to learn and network with other divers.

I'm on the Central Coast but occasionally head down south to fish Catalina. I first tried spearfishing with a pole spear there and while it isn't impossible get a fish it is frustrating as hell to have such a short range. If you're wanting to go for rock cod in the shallows it would work, however if you are wanting to push yourself a little more you might want to pony up and get a good gun to start yourself off.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT