• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newb here, i need some help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hey, i've just recently gotten into free-diving. After our last trip to Jamaica and Key West, i fell in love with it! i saw the coolest shell laying about 20 ft. down, but yet i didnt know anything about snorkeling underwater! I'm just starting the sport, and i was wondering if there is any equipment suggestions. I dont have the big bucks to spend, so nothing super pricy would work. I also live in Wisconsin..... but we own 3 lake cottages, so i do most my snorkeling there. I only get to the ocean for about 3-4 weeks of the year, but when i do i snorkel all day anyhow. So, some suggestions would be great :)

Hey Skarz

Welcome to DB and freediving ! I think most of the guy's and girls would advise similar things, from my side, firstly...try and find a dive buddy to dive with, and dive 'one-up , one-down', secondly, start learning how to RELAX ttoally in the water, thirdly, go thru the freediving forum on this website and just try to read as much as possible, a lot of newbie's, including myself, have found it invaluable. Thanks to the internet and DB, we can learn in an hour what probably took divers months to learn not that long ago, relying on magazines and word of mouth !

Above all, respect the ocean, and never lose the passion for apnea !

Good luck.

Jeff.

Thanks a lot for the info! I've been reading a ton today, its overwhelming! I do a lot more of respecting lakes than the ocean though :)..... I really love to swim, and this takes it like 10 times further! I've also tried scuba, but i actually don't like it as much as snorkeling. For one im not all about diving deep, although it is fun. I like surfacing, checking out the fish (and the girls), then diving down to get the cool looking shells. I can't wait for summer! And to get back to the big blue.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT