• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie - Cressi Gara 2000LD

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Here's the mod pics I promised...

I just took off about 14-15cm (5.5 inches) of the top rails with a razor blade. This alleviated some of the stiffness in the down/front stroke.

I read that someone had ground/filed down the plastic ridges on the bottom, but I didn't want to weaken the fin on both strokes.

To me, this modification has increased the efficiency of these fins for surface swimming with minimal loss on deep power coming up.

Let me know if anyone needs more of an explanation. :confused:

I just tried out my new Gara LDs and I love them. My foot started to hurt after about 45 min (It's been a while since I've been in the water with fins) but after an hour the pain went away and they performed well. I especially like how they feel dolphin kicking. These are my first set of long fins and I think I made a good decision with the LDs. I'm getting married and going to Kona tomorrow and I'm bringing them with me. Cheers.

Thanatos:

I have an Omer Pro Carbon fins and they are fantastic!!:D
I've heard about the Gara's, they too are great.
If you are looking for an alternative, perhaps you may try the Omer millenium or pro carbon. They are stiff, but man the quick flextion from 30m+ is very fast.

Try www.omerdiving.com (OMER logo link).;)

Good luck.

ivan:

I know omer carbons are costly, but if anyone is thinking of going 'cheap' for fins then so what's the point of investing in a sport that demands the very best in yourself and you equipment.

I agree each item(s) for freediving equipment is expensive but you must realize that when each individual takes up a 'sport' that appeals to his/her desire to play the game, then you must invest every effort and $$$$$ to be part of a TEAM!!!

:hmm

hi

Yeah true maybe for pure freedivers. Im a spearo so I dont think carbon would work too good on the reef.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
maybe for pure freedivers. Im a spearo
cheers

There's a difference?

I know what/where you're going with this train of thought, re the fins. But I'd argue here as in another thread recently that the two are one and the same. Bill?

sven

Originally posted by icarus pacific
There's a difference?

I know what/where you're going with this train of thought, re the fins. But I'd argue here as in another thread recently that the two are one and the same. Bill?

sven

:ko startin scuffles, eh sven? Maybe Cliff can clarify things for us since he's a bit on both sides of the fence. :confused:

Elvis

hi

yeah Sven I think I understand what you are saying :cool:

cheers

By today's standards, all fins that are made exclusively for freediving/spearfishing have been modified and improved for flexibility, stiffness and strength.

Carbon fins have these qualities and I know they are prone to 'breaking, cracking, and costly but I believe that they provide an exceptional value and performance package.
Listen, I know there are many brands that have all these characteristics and each of them are based on quality, performance etc... but I prefer my fins over all others.
That's my opinion.

Perhaps they'll combine the two types to benefit us.

two carbon or not

Sven
Like the rest of life, it depends. I dove competition for 10-15 years and never went below 70 feet. If you're going to use them for 4-5 hours, comfort counts most. For WSB you just need to move relaxed at 20 feet for over a minute and be in the right place. Use carbon around rocks and you are asking for an expensive surprise, I'm told and if you ever do any 'bicycle' kicking, you will break them.
Kicking up from 100 feet or long bottom cruises for halibut at 30+ foot and carbons would be great. Beats me how any diver can survive with only two or three pairs of fins.
Aloha
Bill

hi

Bill only one pair of fins so far, Omer millenium comps. I call them black magic :cool:

cheers

et two Bill?

Spot on Billiam!

I had occasion to wear a pair of Picasso carbons doing just that, covering sand/gravel bottom for flatties and they were pretty sweet. (of course having to throw some carving and shoestrings in the foot pockets helped ;) ) And the couple of 40m pulls I did with them for giggles, I sure appreciated the stiffness for the first dozen kicks from the bottom :crutch but I was real careful to no push off with them...

I was pretty jazzed with a pair of OMER Ice's until they started cracking, a problem that caused their being pulled and reworked. They represent what is probably the ideal, if there is any, fin for combo work. I've got a big memo on Mark's desk at Technosport to send me a pair as soon as the bugs are worked out. This experimenting with gear is what's going to keep the sport going deeper, safer and I'm all over it.

sven

hi

Yeah Sven thats the only thing stopping me from getting the clears, but as you said best of both worlds. Please fix the problems Mark :D

cheers

Maybe those new Waterways bi fin blades will be the ticket? Peter says they are made from some fiber plastic...Im no engineer, I guess the same stuff monos are made from. For $99 and with me having an extra pair of footpockets laying around, just might be a worthy experiment. Only prob is there is like 6 different levels of stiffness?????

I may consider buying a pair of Omer millennium for a second pair and chose between the two depending on the location and environment beneath the water line.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT