• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

newbie ?: footpockets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1 Tadpole

I'd rather play than work
Jul 27, 2002
Hi all,

I'm just starting in freediving and have a longfin question:
Open or closed foot pockets for first pair of fins?

On a budget and I tend toward used equip. to start out with. I found a pair of lightly used open-back Sporasub HD fins. Shall I snag'em?

Any other recommendations?

Would appreciate the input!

Thanks.

Fins ! ! !

Well since you are new in freediving i don`t think so u will need very expensive fins if you can`t afford them

Recomends: for 100 or 120 dollars you can get OMER Millenium Competitions or Cressi Gara 2000.BTW Full pocket fins is certain for freediving don`t waste your money for others.

Esclapez has also have some good fins.

If you can afford Carbon fins go for C4 or new OMER Carbons.

hey tadpole,

go to the deeperblue store(diveinn) and get a pair of cressi gara ld's for $60. my partner and i have been through every pair of fins on the market(including carbons) and we both are back into the cressis. my buddy like's the hf's (stiffer) and i like the ld's (softer). i'm about 40lbs heavier than he is so you'd think it would be the other way around, but just as a point here, you don't necessarily have to think that stiffer fins are an upgrade. the foot pockets are the most comfortable on the planet, but if you're in cold water, you'll have to consider "fin keepers" and the next size up footpocket to accomodate the whale blubber you have to put around your feet. :D

good luck,
andrsn

Thanks for the advice Murat & Andrsn.

I've browsed the Deeper Blue store extensively. Just bought my mask and snork there. Excellent prices!

As for the fins, the Cressi LD is not available in my size at this time. I'd opt for the softer fin to start out with. Being in Seattle, the water IS chilly and I'll either have to either fork out $$ for two pair, one for warmer & one for colder water, or get the bigger pockets and use keepers as you suggested andrsn.

Any guidlines on sizing a closed footpocket, allowing for booties? Street shoe size + ? = Z.

What are the real downsides to open back adjustable footpockets anyway? Are they less efficient due to the open heel? Do you have to reef'em down more than scuba fins to keep'em on, thus making them unconmfortable? I've used open heel fins before for light snokeling w/o much problem.

Murat, where's a decent source for Omer fins?

Thanks for the help.

Tad

tadpole,

what size foot do you have? i've got three sets of omer milleniums in my closet that are collecting dust(size 44-46). otherwise, new omers would be best had at piratescuba.com

later,
andrsn

andrsn,

I'm an average 9-1/2 street shoe. Do you think the 44-46 would work with cold water booties? Let me know. I'd be interested if you think they'd fit.

Thanks,
Tad

tad, i'm an 11.5us and i can squeeze a 5mil bootie in the pockets w/ me.

sorry :(

andrsn- Thanks for the offer and tip to piratescuba.com.

Murat- Thanks for the help.

omer ice

there is a fairly new fin out there, omer ice, which is very resilient to cold water, as they put it. I have not tried it, but I assume it is a good fin. maybe that is something for you to check out?

Good luck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT