• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie @ Freediving :p

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nitr8

Jan 8, 2002
Well i am pretty new to this, and i am quite intrested in freediving! I am from South Africa and cant find much resorces! Can anyone sugget some reaing material were i could read up on how i can train my "lungs" so that i can hold my breath longer? and how do i get most out of swimming under water for the logest amount of time!

NiTR8

Last edited:
Training

Hey dude,

Where in SA are you located ?

I'm from Cape Town, and spearfish nearly every day (aside from programming to support it)

Check out the rest of the forums - especially under freedive training. There's some very usefull comments. Otherwise ask specific questions on what you want to do - depth, time, static etc etc etc.

Regards,
RC

Training

Well i am from jhb :p *sulks*

I suppose i would like to stay under water longer so that would be time ?

Donno

Thanks

NiTR8

Last edited:
reading..

I have found out that reading does improve your diveing fast, but what really does the job is actually doing it.. everytime I got into water after a while it is hard even if I do everythig exctly the way I did last time I was diveing.. It is easier to read about relaxing on the surface than actually doing it in the water..
These forums are good reading for beeginner and for experienced freedivers..I think.
So read a bit and try it in the water you will notice what works for you best quikly..and have a buddy with you
Safe and fun diveing

freedivehawaii

You can find good information on how to begin your training in this website, not only in the forums, search the archives. There is good information too in freedivehawaii.com under physiology. If you have a specific question, post it in the right forum.

Sincerely

Frank Pernett

Training

All i wanna know is were can i get info on the net, that can teach me how to train my lungs so that i can hold my breath under water for a bit longer!

Thanks

NiTR8

Last edited:
Life, Lung size and the urge to submerge .....

Dude,

So sorry you're stuck in Jhb ..... I moved to CT 2 1/2 years ago and never looked back.

I've measured my lung size according to what a buddy told me - I have NO idea how accurate it is. What I did was take a large (10litre + ) bottle and fill it with water. I then stuck a hosepipe in it and submerged it upside down in a pool so that there was no air in the bottle, only water and a bit of hosepipe.

Then, taking a FULL breath I blew into the hosepipe, which then displaced the water (or at least some of it) from the bottle. Once my lungs were empty, I put the cap back on the bottle (still under water and upside down, took it out and Voila! Measurable lung size (the air in the bottle should be the same as your lung size .... just fill it up with water from a jug)

As for wanting to stay under water for longer, it's still a little vague. If you want to do fairly shallow dives, say less than 5m, you'll do one type of training. If you wanna do deeper dives, say up to 20m, you'll do something different. And if you wanna go deeper, well, move to Cape Town and learn to dive in cold water.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Regards,
Riaan C

PS: Lung capacity +-7.5 litres .... he he he and I've been smoking for 4 years !

cpt vs jhb

SASpearo,

Are you from jhb? and moved to cpt? Because i know a lot of people that have moved from cpt to jhb and say the same as you, but the oppisite! Like cpt sux and jhb rox *giggle*

Oh yea, are you involved in deeperblue.net? If so why dont we set up a .za.net mirror? I work for a secondary isp so i have the bandwidth, space and and and :p

Any ways if you are intrested please mail me wayne@safika-it.co.za and lets set something up! I am on leave now till the 28th and am bored as hell sitting at home! So give me something to do dammit :p

kk let me shut my mouth and go and jump in the pool with a 10L container to see how big my lungs are!

Later

NiTR8

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT