• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie Help should I get a spear gum or spear.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

randymora62

Jul 24, 2016
I thinking of getting a Hawaiian Sling currently live in La County. Any feed back would help

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi Randymora62,

I’m relatively new to this sport and in no way an expert but here are my 2 cents:

It really depends on how new you are to the sport. If it’s your first time, get a Hawaiian sling. They’re relatively cheap and don’t have much that can go wrong with them, but mainly they teach you the skills/foundations for spearfishing. If you start off with a gun that has a relatively big range, you’ll learn later on that harder fish such as snapper swim away as soon as they see you, and no amount of range will help you get close enough. A Hawaiian sling teaches the basics of stalking and other hunting techniques for getting close so that when you do get a speargun later on, you’ll find it easier to get close and land a quick and easy kill shot.

However if you get a Hawaiian sling beware they are not used for larger fish as the fish can swim off with the spear. If you are in an area with clear water or big fish, get a speargun and a float, as it you’ll eventually upgrade to a speargun if you decide the sport is for you. But if you are not sure that the sport is for you there’s no sense on blowing 300+ dollars on a speargun that’s just going to collect dust.

It’s really up to you, to be honest to yourself. Do I really need this? Am I serious? Etc.

I hope this helped at all even if it is a while since you posted the thread,

If you have any more questions that I might be able to answer (and even some I might not be able to) let me know, I’ll try my best.

Cheers,

Rock Shooter

Reactions: Pinniped72
Rock shooter thanks I got me self the Hawaiian Sling. Shit is legit

No no bragging rights yet. I'm hoping soon though. Stay Tuned

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT