• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie here!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ironic lettuce

Nov 6, 2006
Hi guys!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum! I'm a 25 year old guy from Scotland and I've just finished my MSc in marine biology :) When I get enough money I'll finish my SCUBA diving course, and I'm going to start training for freediving by doing apnea walks as often as is safe to increase my static apnea times! I did my first one tonight and got 1m15s, which will hopefully increase soon :)

Welcome aboard Ironic

You will find this site very enjoyable. Lot of information and loads of nice people.

Carlos

Reactions: island_sands
hey, im also fairly new to deeper blue and diving. Youll find that you can increase your breath hold time by alot after only a couple of weeks! Hope you enjoy the sport!

Gillz

Hello Ironic Lettuce and all.

I just joined this evening and am 25 and Scottish as well (by roots as I wasn't born in Scotland) but grew up mainly in the Caribbean.

This is my first time hearinga about apnea walks (walking while holding ones breath I take it?) Is there a recommended set of training tips you can point me to. I have three goals

-To swim 75meters underwater with no fins (in an olympic pool)

-Reach a static apnea time of 5 minutes.

-Free dive 50-75 feet, be under water for 2-3 minutes while actively snaring a massive lobster :)

Any comments/links advice re dieting, training etc would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably make my own post and re-iterate so apologies for the redundance in advance. I just wanted to say hello, big up and camp onto the dialouge.

Parables said:

-Free dive 50-75 feet, be under water for 2-3 minutes while actively snaring a massive lobster :)
QUOTE]

Now that would be something in the Hudson :) . I know as I am just back from there.

Scotland I also know and visibility up there is the perfect analogy for the proverbial curates egg "good in places". Meaning shit nearly everywhere else. St Abbs can be good. The clyde isn't :) .

Welcome all Newbies

Dave

Last edited:
"Now that would be something in the Hudson"

You just dove the Hudson River? Where at, if I may. It's getting a bit chilly but heck I'd dive that in a second so long as I knew I wasn't in polluted water and I dont even mind that so l ong as I know there are lobsters around. Sweet.

Never dove Scotland before unfortunately. Someday.

Sorry to mislead you but I was being slightly sartcastic there :naughty I was actually sightseeing on the Hudson and the water looked to have zero vis plus I doubt wether the armed gun boats that currently patrol the river since 9/11 would take kindly to you diving there. There is a good fishery for stripers (striped bass) by anglers both in the Hudson and east rivers but I doubt there are any lobsters there. I can't say that I know much about diving the north east coast but I'm sure someone on DB will know. Certainly compared to the south east (Florida etc) and the west coast (California) both of which I've been to the diving New York way seems limited. Still USA is a great (and big) place and DB is a great (and big) forum so I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

Good luck.

Dave :) .

I'm 25 but English, studying Ornamental Fish Management. I wish I could do 75m no fins!

Lucia

Dave,
Yeah, I didn't think one could Dive the Hudson but you never know. Maybe there is a SecretSpot. At any rate, thanks for the help.

Naiad,
I can't do 75m no fins yet, but hope to in the near future.
Right now when I get to 50m I feell like my chest is on fire. Has anyone experienced this before. No convulsions at 50m just a major chest flame. I normally stop because I feel like it's not good but can I plow through. I may make a general post about this. We'll see.

Cheers.

Gunboat on the Hudson, 2 months ago. Not much vis and who'd argue with 50 cals bow and stern?

Dave

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT