• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

newbie looking for some advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ozhanlion

Apr 2, 2004
Hello bluelovers.

at last I have found some money and self-confidence to get a certificate in scuba diving. The problem I am having is I have talked with lots of instructors and fellas and some of them adviced me to get a naui certificate where as the others told me to get a padi. I really cannot make my head straight about this question.

QWhat are the cons and pros of these two certificates. I have heard that naui instructors give more serious education, and also some places in US don't allow to dive with a PADI certificate, is it true ?

I am a guy living in Turkey, so my main route will be here in Turkey and maybe US later next years probably.

I really need your guys advice in this problem.

thanks in advance.

oz.

Go read up on that pole on which they discuss which orginisation is best. it basically boils down to one thing: agencies are very musch the same, but it depends on the instructor, and also what is your future plans with diving. staying a low pressure diver or deciding to go deeper later. padi and naui does not allow anyone to go deeper than 40 meters where with cmas you can do a adv nitrox course where you can dive to 55meters, and later trimix to 100m+ just to name a few.

Originally posted by Gertjie
Go read up on that pole on which they discuss which orginisation is best. it basically boils down to one thing: agencies are very musch the same, but it depends on the instructor, and also what is your future plans with diving. staying a low pressure diver or deciding to go deeper later. padi and naui does not allow anyone to go deeper than 40 meters where with cmas you can do a adv nitrox course where you can dive to 55meters, and later trimix to 100m+ just to name a few.

Actually, PADI now have the DSAT Tec deep and Tec Trimix courses, which allow you to go to 50m and 75m in training respectively. For a write up on the Tec Deep course follow this link

www.divernet.com/technique/1101tecrec.htm

You can always crossover anyway to another organisation, such as TDI or IANTD, you don't have to do ALL your training with one organisation, you may switch back and forth as you like, because most courses have an equivalency entry option.

By the way, Chris Boardman is an olympic gold medal winning cyclist, who is now Diver magazines training correspondant, so the fella is pretty fit, and has sampled a lot of courses, therefore his views on the content of the training should be pretty valid.

as i heard padi and naui was the same company years ago , since the time you ve posted the question i suppose you have made your dicision so i have nothing to tell you except that , you can be a good diver not by where you were trained but by what you learned

Last edited:
I have no idea who mps798 is, I have suddenly received 3 replies to posts that I thought were closed a long time ago.

I can´t understand this reply, the english is appalling.

I fully understand that as you are from Cyprus English might not be your first language. Please explain what you mean so that I might answer you correctly

as i said , and , as i know , padi and naui was once together before they get divided , now about the question , my oppinion is : a good diver becomes good , not by where he was trained , but, by what he learned .

londonsean69 said:
I have no idea who mps798 is, I have suddenly received 3 replies to posts that I thought were closed a long time ago.

I can´t understand this reply, the english is appalling.

I fully understand that as you are from Cyprus English might not be your first language. Please explain what you mean so that I might answer you correctly
sorry londonsean69
you were right , so i fixed a litle bit my answer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT