• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie spear fishing gear check

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
Probably should have done this before pulling the figurative trigger and purchasing my first bit of spear fishing gear (however I can always return it!), but I’ve just bought a few bits and pieces online and I’d like to check my speargun and fins are actually suitable for what I’m going to be doing. Basically I’ll be hunting on the south coast for anything edible.

ive gone for a Cressi cherokee 90 speargun and beachat mundial one fins. I went for a 90cm as I’ve read it’s the best all rounder for the UK and The cressi seemed pretty feature laden for the price. The fins were basically the cheapest free dive ones I could find that weren’t particularly short.

basically I’d like some confirmation that I haven’t bought the wrong stuff :p

Yes, those all sound fine (y) For Dorset/E. Devon 70-80cm would likely be a slightly better choice, as conditions are often murky and shorter would help shots at fast moving fish under those conditions, but provided conditions are reasonably clear that should be fine. Also, I expect you'll visit other areas, like Devon and Cornwall, where the extra length will come in useful.

Yes, those all sound fine (y) For Dorset/E. Devon 70-80cm would likely be a slightly better choice, as conditions are often murky and shorter would help shots at fast moving fish under those conditions, but provided conditions are reasonably clear that should be fine. Also, I expect you'll visit other areas, like Devon and Cornwall, where the extra length will come in useful.

thanks mate. Guns especially are overwhelming for a newbie as the choice is vast but they all seem basically the same

:D Yes, they are much of muchness.

I started off using a big, heavy 90cm RA railgun in Dorset, most often in poor viz. I caught fish ok but came to realize I was quite often unable to respond to fast moving fish (grey mullet, bass, mackerel and gar) very close by and long range opportunities were few and far between.

I switched to a super slim, light 75cm speargun and started getting those close, fast fish. :) A 70cm RA railgun would have been another option.

I tend to spear more in Devon these days. I usually used my 75 there for several years but recently I have been using a slim, lightweight 90 there by default, not so much for effective range - as the range is quite similar - but because I find I am more accurate at longer shots with the 90. But your experience may be different.

90 is the typical default for Cornwall but I've experienced plenty of murky 75cm days there too. There are gin clear days in Dorset, occasionally. A 110 or even a 120 would not be out of place on some days in some spots.

My brother, a keen shooter, observed that now he has more guns he rarely has the right one (ie the best one) in his hands when a shot presents itself. Spearguns can be like that too. A good all rounder is usually the best bet but often something a bit shorter or longer would be handy.

Reactions: DivingNomad
My brother, a keen shooter, observed that now he has more guns he rarely has the right one (ie the best one) in his hands when a shot presents itself. Spearguns can be like that too. A good all rounder is usually the best bet but often something a bit shorter or longer would be handy.

that’s great to hear.

I was given a dive knife for free yesterday, it’s a Second hand wenoka blackie Collins which from what I understand is a reasonable knife. However a little piece of the sheath is broken off which means the locking mechanism, doesn’t work properly and the knife itself is a bit of a beast size wise So I may look at getting something a little more suitable.

where do spearos tend to carry their knives? I’d like to go for weight belt mounted or forearm mounted personally as it just seems a bit easier to access .

It there a basic knife that anyone can recommend? Don’t care about brand etc just that it’s up to the task

Look around the forum, there is a lot of existing information, some quite recent ;)

A small iki Jimi spike on your belt is probably sufficient. A small spearo dagger would be a little more versatile.

For years I've carried a flat medium sized spearo dagger in the cheap, simple, excellent Rob Allen Limpet sheath (Pelaj sell something similar) but I most often dispatch fish with the spike of my stringer.

Late last year I decided to buy a few new knives to try out this year. So currently I am over equipped: a tiny Seacsub Samurai on my right wrist - perhaps the quintessential spearo mini-dagger and very cheap if you shop the sales; an Imersion mini dagger on my belt (same as Omer mini laser but different colour and cheaper) and a generic medium spearo dagger on my leg. But any one of this alone is more than sufficient. It's easy to loose dive knives and spikes, especially when starting out.

Look around the forum, there is a lot of existing information, some quite recent ;)

A small iki Jimi spike on your belt is probably sufficient. A small spearo dagger would be a little more versatile.

For years I've carried a flat medium sized spearo dagger in the cheap, simple, excellent Rob Allen Limpet sheath (Pelaj sell something similar) but I most often dispatch fish with the spike of my stringer.

Late last year I decided to buy a few new knives to try out this year. So currently I am over equipped: a tiny Seacsub Samurai on my right wrist - perhaps the quintessential spearo mini-dagger and very cheap if you shop the sales; an Imersion mini dagger on my belt (same as Omer mini laser but different colour and cheaper) and a generic medium spearo dagger on my leg. But any one of this alone is more than sufficient. It's easy to loose dive knives and spikes, especially when starting out.

the seac samurai was actually one I was looking to buy, should have got it when I placed my order at scubastore , I didn’t realise this pretty much isn’t available anywhere else if you’re in the UK.

On a slightly different note I’m not sure whether to go for a wrist lanyard option or a ’curly telephone line‘ lanyard from the knife to the sheath so I’ll experiment with both. I actually got given a new telephone line type lanyard but doesn’t seem terribly secure. Came with 2 little zip ties so it seems at either end of the lanyard you are expected to loop the wire back on itself and zip tie it into a loop.

5EA4B02A-38E3-493C-A9FC-4253FF8D0A24.jpeg

problem is that even with the zip tie as tight as it’ll go it will still pull through. Is there a better way to attach these?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT