• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie spearfishing Los Angeles. By way of Bonnie (freezing cold) Scotland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Laurie Slaven

Sep 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

Started 7 months ago freediving and hunting. Finding it real hard to get time in the water as I really want to
develop my breath holds. Have all my equipment (enough to keep me busy learning for the next year).
I am looking for information on work out regimen and diet to help build my core, chest, shoulders and arms.
I have loads of timer on the bike to work my legs, that and swimming. Breath holds I am using an app for my iPhone, static apnea and some dynamic apnea. I understand all these things take time to develop and I am more than willing to put the effort in to get in good shape, I just want to make sure I am doing the correct things as bad habits develop early and I would like to avoid those if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any information you all can provide.

Best regards

Laurie (torskk)

Welcome Laurie. It sound like you are doing all the right things. Maybe there could be some specific things you could do better if your focus was pure free diving- getting as close as possible to death without going over the edge. But your thread title indicates that you are a spear fisherman. Lots of people do very well at spearfishing with no workouts at all. In SoCal, you can do well with a breath hold of a minute or so.

I think the key is that you said you are having a hard time getting in the water. All the workouts in the world won't do much good without time getting comfortable in the water.

There are two spearfishing clubs in the Los Angeles area- the Long Beach Neptunes and the Los Angeles Fathomiers. It might be worth your while to attend meeting of either one or both.

You can develop breath holds outside the water. It isn't the most enjoyable pursuit, but it gets the job done. You may also want to take a freediving class. People make fantastic progress in just a few days, and the safety aspect is invaluable.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Getting much more time in the brine now. I took Level 1 Aii class back in May-June 2014. Best thing I ever did. Learned all the good stuff relating to safety of oneself and of course others. Pretty intense two days finishing with multiple dives to 65'. Instructor Mark Lozano was first class and made the course very interesting.

Have been to a few of the Fathomier meetings, seem like a fun bunch of guys and a few gals yet slightly aloof. Just need to keep persevering and crack the lock. ;-)

Thanks again for the welcome and advice.

Laurie

Laurie - glad you took a class and Mark treated you well! Good chaps and one of the top FII instructors.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT