• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie... with questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jaster

Feb 26, 2004
Hey all,

I was doing some 'research' to try to give me an edge in a water survival class I'm taking... but just couldnt stop reading the posts when I stumbled across your forums. So, I really thing I'm quiet interested in more than 'just' getting an edge... I think its something I'd like to continue with.. maybe broaden my horizons a bit, never knowing where I might end up being stationed.

I would really like to work on static and dynamic, I haven't had a chance to get a baseline for my dynamic (in a shallow pool, 50 meters would be my goal to get up to 'soon'). I did, however, try some dry static last night and came up with 1:47, 2:00, and 2:16 (before hitting the books again, then falling asleep :eek:

I've read some of the 'training plans' that you folks use for dry statics, but don't really understand what I would do as a beginner, and most importantly, have hardly found much for dynamic improvement and such. Any help ya'll could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Josh

Reactions: thud
OK, so my new dry static time is 2:30, but thats lying down on my back, so I don't know if thats cheating.... I swam what I think was 25m dynamic without any problem, and could probably do more, but did not have a spotter so I didn't want to risk anything.

any tips, or beginner training advice... would be greatly appreciated as i'm starting to develop a much bigger affinity for the water (than say running on land).

for my dry static, I'm currently doing a couple of 1:10 breath holds, with about a 30 second to 1 minute rest, then going for as long as i can once my heart rate is down a little. then I just cool down by breathing slow, with about a 6:20:6 breath in, hold, breath out repetition.

thanks for any advice..
josh

Josh,
There is so much too learn. Maybe a book would be a better place to get started than trying to understands posts that assume many things. We all went through stumbling around until it started making sense. Some where in the Deeper Blue is freediver term dictionary that may help.

Another way is to get involved with other people. That’s really what freediving is about anyway. You’re lucky to live in Florida where there are several freedivers, clubs, and clinics.
Steve

Florida? I wish!

Unfortunately, c.springs in colorado, Rather than Florida. Which likely cuts down the number of freediving enthusiasts a bit. (My home town of San Antonio probably would cut it down even further considering I don't think there's much standing water left thats deeper than 30 feet in Texas!)

A book would probably be a good Idea, you are right because a lot of the posts and websites I've read go straight to the 'techie' talk - so if perhaps someone has a reccommended book about freediving and training, that would be great. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post Steve!

Josh,

Probably the best way to get started is to do a beginner course somewhere.
Next thing is to start training regularly. You could probably use the static training tables from the freediver.co.uk website (under Downloads). Train with them for a number of months and log your results. It gets you started and when you progress try to find a buddy or a freediving club nearby (if possible).
To improve dynamic you can use the dry walks (walking whilst holding your breath), but never run. Running is a bit too risky.
And don't forget to work on your cardio!
Good luck.

Haico

Josh,
Sorry about the location mix up. I believe there are divers in db in Colorado. You should put a message in the “Find A Buddy & Places to Dive”. Even if there is currently no one, I can bet that somebody in db knows a freediver in Colorado.

I don’t know if you're ever going back to San Antonio, but there are freedivers in South Texas. Contact db member donmoore. I believe he is involved in a club in Corpus Christi that has a member or two from San Antonio.

Haico suggestion of a course is excellent, but if you were able to get with another freediver, I think you would quickly be at a level higher than beginner. Then you could take a higher-level course and really learn and advance. Most freedivers are more than happy to help you out, because they are always looking for people to dive with.

The pool is where you want to begin, because of the controlled environment, and you will always want to be coming back to it, especially if you live Colorado!(Cold!) All good freedivers use the pool for training. Another plus to a finding a diver would be some help with gear. I you haven’t gotten long fins yet, that is where you should start. In the U.S. most of us have to buy our gear over the internet. There are some good threads here on first pair of long fins, but there are so many choices and personal preferences, that it really helps to see and try some from other divers.

Good luck,
Steve

Reactions: thud and bobbybuttr
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT