• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ccolt1

Jan 1, 2005
I would like to say hi and happy new year!! I hope I can learn alot here. I am new and I would like to take classes in the next month or two but need to know what to buy and any brand that is better than any other. Thanks !!
I have not done any diving yet but getting ready to go to classes. I live in N. Ca. and am about 300mi away from oceans so will be diving in lakes after I am certified I will be taking the openwater course. I would like to buy all my own gear also.Thank you for the help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weclome to the board and congrats on taking the plunge and becoming a diver!!

Asking about "better brands" is ike asking someone wha car is best. 100people are going to give you 50 different answers. You'll find a lot of very competent divers on this boad that can help guide you. I personally dive Apeks regs and Halcyon & Oxycheq rigging, but it's not for everybody. in the end it's what fits you best. I would recomend talking to the dive shop or dive club to intend on affilating yourself with and see what everyone else dives. the local Divemasters and instructors will know what works for your area. GOOD LUCK!

Hi,

Join a club, make some good friends, go on group dives and look and listen to the people around you.
After a bit you will start to get a picture of the sport and grow to know the good from the not so good, do not go out and buy the first thing you see, this is all about what suits you best and a lot can be gained from the above.

Dive safe

Bobco

Hey, welcome to DB! You'll enjoy it here, I'm sure. Just explore the site; there's lots of fabulous information.
On the subject of gear, do shop around. Consider buying gear that is generally considered 'freediving gear', because it is often less expensive and sometimes better than scuba gear. I found this out the hard way by spending around $500 for a wetsuit, then finding that a nice, comfortable, warm freediving suit costs a couple hundred dollars less. Try running stuff by these folks first; they'll give you their best opinion. Good luck, and have fun!

Indeed BatRay, one could buy a tailor made warm firstclass suit for about $250.
I'm also a freediver and I'm happy to use my gara2000 closed heals freedive longfins for scubadiving. The difference is HUGE, I make one stoke, my buddy needs to do 3...

BatRay's tip is a very good one!

Maybe you want to try freediving someday in in the future to, it influenced my scuba diving greatly and made the experience much richer.

Welcome!

Carlos.

dear friend hi ,
the only thing to mention is , the best brand is the one which better fits to you
dont get the slogan "more money better thing " , let take the mask for example , there are so many mask promissing so many things , have you try them? if not , dont buy them they might not fit to your face . Changing many brands the point left to me , try before buy and dont trust the "best" , get your fit

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT