• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New Australian Static Apnea Record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Sydney Freediver Ant Judge broke the Australian Record of Static Apnea with a 7'7' breathhold. the judges were AIDA E level Judges Ant Williams (NZ) and Jasmine Bastow to verify the performance.Information and story on Sydney Freedivers website....

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

What an amazing hold by Ant Judge, well done...BennyB could have some competition? Naaaaaa!

No problem my friend. How did it feel? When did contractions started etc? You must feel on top of the world.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice one Ant! it's a really nice number!
What are the names of the people that may attempt to break your record?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

to tell the truth bite ya it was one of the worst 7min statics i have ever done. having all the cameras made me a bit nervous. where i normally spend my breath up just trying to drop my heart rate it would just not drop. and it seemed the longer i sat there the more i thought about it and the worse it got so i just went for it.

the 1st few mins were bad! it was the fastest i have ever had my h/r in any static. and the camera flashes really put me off. i really wanted to just come up.
but then i got my response and i felt my h/r drop as well as my 1st contraction (about 2 min in. bit early) but i figured contractions were better than a racing h/r.

it was a hard static where i didnt feel relaxed at all but had my training buddy/ coach pooshkie talking me though it.

at 6min i felt committed and comfortable with the static. my target time was 7:06 so i waited for pooshkie tell me. i came up, sucked in a few good breaths and could not stop the smile from taking over my face. i waited for Ant williams to call time and showed me the white card.

i had held the record back in 2002 with 6:02 in the 1st time i had done a comp. so i look at this as my come back to the sport.

KARS the people that could have a shot at his record are of course the old record holder Wal Styne. but freediving in OZ has really changed in the last year with the forming of the club sydney freedivers. i know a few ppl just in my club that could hit this time in the near futrue, guys like pooshkie, and even my dad "judge" are getting big times.

its going to be a big year for freediving in OZ!
thanks every one.

ant:friday

Last edited:
Reactions: bite ya
Great suff Ant!

Doesn't matter how you do it ultimately - GJ for pushing through. Shows that you have plenty left for next time round.

Cheers and congrats,
Guy

That's it Ant, you'll always be a Kiwi in my eyes now :D

Well done, that's a fantastic static!

April has certainly been a busy month for Aussie freedivers...

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: island_sands
I'm liking how we get to claim the Aussies as our own when they do well :D

Good work, Ant! Hope to see you in the water again soon!

I'm liking how we get to claim the Aussies as our own when they do well :D

Good work, Ant! Hope to see you in the water again soon!

haha no we are still trying to claim Ant Williams as ours!

btw cant wait to have aust V.z kiwis pool comp! it will be an invite comp and Dave is NOT INVITED! LOL

THANKS GUYS!

haha no we are still trying to claim Ant Williams as ours!

btw cant wait to have aust V.z kiwis pool comp! it will be an invite comp and Dave is NOT INVITED! LOL

THANKS GUYS!
You can't have more than one Ant; there's a quota! If you like, we can unoffically rename our July comp the Wellington Aussie-Bashing Champs...

You can't have more than one Ant; there's a quota! If you like, we can unoffically rename our July comp the Wellington Aussie-Bashing Champs...
funny you say that... some nights we have 3 ants training in the one pool!

well the president of our club this year (my dad Judge) will be bang up for it.... he is one of you!

It was great the local Daily Newspaper ran with the story even giving Ant a mug shot on the front page.

Attachments

• 003 [640x480].JPG
    003 [640x480].JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 004 [640x480].JPG
    004 [640x480].JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 169
Hi Judge, thanks for posting the article, but can it please be a bit higher resolution? I can almost read the middle part, and reading the lower lines this so called "expert" medical director quotes are so ignorant, actually dumbed down it makes me think how low the editor must think of his readers.

I love the monofin photo!

Thanks!

Kars

Here it is almost noon and no rumors or stories yet so I'd better start one.
Two young divers from Sydney showed up last week and spent a few days getting used to the hot water. At last report, one new PB and plans for more attempts. Look out Wal!

This should make it possible to read.

The "expert of 25 years" obviously is 25 years out of date and I have written to the editor with a polite letter to that effect. However the positives of the article far out weigh the negatives and the people we want to contact to expand the sport are the ones that will fire up when they read the article on Ant's attitude and success.

The other huge positive is that the Manly Daily has giant circulation and so we have contacted a huge audience and told them that Sydney Freedivers are here in Sydney and are successful. That is the type of message we need in Australia.

Judge

Attachments

• 006 [1024x768].JPG
    006 [1024x768].JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Ant!

Maybe my standards are to high these days demanding accurate reporting, but you're smile and life transformation are very positive things derived from your new passion of freediving, I'm sure the website's traffic must have gone up!

Maybe publish on your Sydney Freedivers website a little follow up to the published article, I'm sure you had much more to say in even more vivid details, adding some depth, and you can 'correct' a few important editor mistakes too. A few more pictures and put a nice short 'sell-the-club-video' et voila!

I wish you many nice new freediving club members!

Thanks again for posting!

Kars

Thanks Ant!

Kars, Ant is my son. :D

On Deeper Blue his id is SayNo2O2.

He was president of Sydney Freedivers last year but he needed to concentrate on his training this year so, I took up the mantle (through club elections of course) . So far his training is moving fine with his static record and today I found out he PBed in training at Hawaii and dived 70m.

Judge

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT