• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New GUINNESS world record - freediving under ice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Yesterday, Stig Avail Severinsen set a new Guiness world record under ice. Wearing nothing more than the skin he was born with and a patch of lycra for a swimsuit, Stig successfully beat the previous record of 57.5 meters with a breath-hold swim of 72 met...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.com News Item...

Well, not bad, but frankly told, not really a record. At least not an absolute one. Christian Redl did a 100m underice dive just a few weeks ago. It was during a TV show, and I thought it was a Guinness Record too, but it is quite possible I am wrong.

EDIT: Ah, I see it only now - Stig did it without a wetsuit! Oh, that's a different category! Congratulations!

Anyway, you can read about Christian's record here:
http://www.christianredl.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry100216-230426

EDIT: some more links:
http://www.live-pr.com/gypten-unterst-tzt-vision-ren-extremtaucher-r1048396011.htm
http://diveinside.de/aktuell_Extrem..._Weltrekord_im_Freediving_unter_Eis_3963.html
http://www.lifepr.de/pressemeldungen/gyptisches-fremdenverkehrsamt/boxid-145087.html

Last edited:
Yes, DNF vs. DYN is also possible (and likely), but basically, as I already crorrected in my first post, Stig did the swim without wetsuit which makes it quite another challenge than doing it with it, like Redl did.

Great Dive Stig!

I wonder why did he choose to do 72 meters?

I'm looking forward to UW video!

Will he try for a 100 next year? This one looked just too easy!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Being a follower and a fan of Stigs for several years, I hate to put his endeavours into miscredit. However, I think it's unfortunate that Stig chose to cut an escape hole at 60 meters.

An under the ice dive has two components: 1) The water is cold; 2) You can't get up when you want to.

For that reason I can only recognize the first 60 meters of the dive.

That said, I liked what I saw: Stig presented freediving well to the mainstream public in the news-segment (on national danish television).

Congrats!

If I understand correctly, this was a Guinness WR, and so I could imagine that some Guinness rules had to be followed, perhaps including a safety hole. Perhaps including wearing a swimsuit, instead of being butt-naked... a specialty for which I claim the first WR many years ago :head

Perhaps including wearing a swimsuit, instead of being butt-naked... a specialty for which I claim the first WR many years ago :head
Sorry, Andrea, but we won't believe you without showing us a video proving your words! rofl

Hey Andrea, are you talking about the time those boats got frozen in and you served as an ice breaker by swimming upside down in the nude? That was impressive :inlove

There's no credible photographic evidence of Stig wearing anything but his speedos; i've seen him do groceries in them. Since Stig's an example of good male nudity, it makes the world a more beautiful place. It's only natural for him to do a record this way.

It really is a shame, though, that he won't make it in the XabreTooth Book of World Records -i guess he'll spend many a night crying himself to sleep over that one.

Personally, i think Stig should run for President -in speedos.

All went smooth especially thanks to NOW Dive and Ben Bos from Skanderborg, Denmark.
They uploaded some pics from before the dive to their Facebook profile

Here is a link to Danish national television. I dunno if its possible to watch outside Denmark.

And a couple of other pics as well:
IceDive055_Herup2010.jpg

IceDive059_Herup2010.jpg

IceDive066_Herup2010.jpg

And with respect to safety holes, XabreTooth: I assume that the safety divers, the guiding rope and the lanyard, the oxygen bottle on land, the presence of cellphones to call an ambulance in the event of accident and so on diminish the attempt even further or...?:duh

Very best regards
H!

...and some more pics. ;)

Uploaded with permission from the photographer:
Morten Bjoern Larsen, copyright 2010

Stig-under-isen-2.jpg

Stig-under-isen-1.jpg

Very best regards
H!

Congrats Stig!

And I thought it was cold in the water yesterday when my D4 said the temp hit 75F...

That would have been one frigid dive! Cudos for his effort, though.

I wonder how long it was before he was able to have sex again. :)

Last edited:
Those must be hot girls, to be able to heat up the Serverinsen Stig that quickly! :inlove

Maybe they want you to offer the same service, it would go a long way in making the effort worth it. :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT