• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nice Christmas Catch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Here's a nice pair of gag groupers I got the day after New Year's.

Attachments

• 1-02_stgags_shrunk.jpg
    1-02_stgags_shrunk.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 399
1/03/04

And here's a nice pair of gags my best friend from high school (Pat Johnson), who was down visiting and diving with me, shot on Saturday (2 days after New Year's).

Attachments

• 1-03_pjgags_shrunk.jpg
    1-03_pjgags_shrunk.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 387
Wow...it's been awhile since I saw Pat holding a fish that didn't come from the market....hehehe! Good talking to you last night Scott--I hope the sinuses clear up. Hopefully we get to hook up in April in Miami. Keep it up-

Matt

Nice fishes Scott...

In 31'th december night i dirink very little and sleeped at 1 am but the weather was too bad, and it was still bad till the yesterday...It started to bit better, may be i can go this week...This week my dive buddy wants to test me at 18-22 meter of water. I am bit freaked about it... Last time with him i only reached 15-16 meter with no bottom time...I didnot adjust my weight belt (don't know how much weight should i put since the this depth is new, complete wetsuit....) anyway we will see how it will be:D

In my birthday i went to the upland hunt since the weather is bad for diving and shoot few birds....:cool:

Murat,

Well, at least you got to hunt something on your birthday.

Best of luck spearing next week!

Matt,

I'm looking forward to April too. Maybe we can find some extra time to go spearing while you're down here.

Scott

must be nice to live where you dont have to run a minimum of 35 miles offshore to hunt...:head

nice fish and definately a good way to start the year.

I hope this year finds us all diving in warm, clean, fish filled waters;)

Rig,

Thanks.

Yea, we got it pretty good here. In West Palm Beach, 1 mile offshore puts you in about 60 feet of water. In Jupiter you have to travel about 3 miles and in St. Lucie it's about 4-5 miles to get to 60 feet. In West Palm, 3 miles puts you in about 300 feet of water. This short travel distance also allows us to dive reguarly in less than ideal weather conditions because just about any boat can putter out a mile offshore even in rough seas.

Scott

hi

Wow Scott those Cobia are big bro, you gotta teach me the trick to finding those big mammas ;) im on a 8 day spearfishing trip tommorow can't wait :cool:

did they totally bend your spears up ?

cheers

Last edited:
Ivan,

Cobia always seem to come to the surface easily but once you get them there, it's a whole different story. We shot each fish in the head 3 times before attempting to handle it and then we’d bury a knife several times in their heads before putting them on the boat. After a short rodeo ride sitting on top of each fish's back on the boat and another few attempts at braining them again, we'd finally get 'em slowed down enough to put them in the cooler. Keep in mind that I am no novice fish killer. I can pith a fish with the best of them but I have scientifically concluded that it's impossible to easily kill a cobia. I've stoned many just to see them doing flips out of the water by the time I got them to the surface.

Best of luck on your trip and take care. Remember, we expect pictures!!!!

Scott

cobia are definately in a league of their own!!! Dont forget about their wolverine style retractable spines that will ruin a perfectly good suit not to mention the diver wearing it!:D

Rig,

You're totally right about the spines, they’re about the badest-ass thing I've ever seen on a fish. I never paid much attention to them before but we examined the cobias from Christmas closely on the boat and those spines are absolutely amazing. They look like something strait out of a movie. Completely retractable and razor sharp. My friend used to give me a hard time when he'd see me putting a cobia between my legs to hold it while I knifed it, now I know why. I'm lucky I still got both nads intact!!!! Won't be using that technique anymore!

Scott

I made the mistake of shooting a 35lb-er last year with a single wrap and no floatline...that was interesting! I was carrying my smaller gun out to a buddy for a backup shot when this guy came up off the wreck right at me...instinct took over and I popped one through his head. He didn't even flinch! I was at 20' and it was a struggle to get him to the surface. Once at the surface I was the one in need of a back up shot. Another shaft throught the head and it really didn't even slow him down. After about 10 minutes of wrestling we had him in the boat...but never again without a reel or floatline. Those bad boys are mean. I saw one that went at least 65-70# later that day but he was more interested in keeping up with the turtle that bolted when he saw us.

still remember the first one I tried to "brain" with a knife...what an event. Figured it'd be like others and jam him to the brain so out came the knife and with a short smooth stroke to the head BOING...the knife bounced off the skull and sank to the depths...all my dive buddies were too busy laughing to help after that.

One technique I find helpful on cobs is leadering. Like you said Scott, they tend to come up easily and often with gentle pressure you can lead them like a dog on a leash. If you pull with force they will go nuts and then its on. I always try to leader them to the boat before making any moves...if they let me that is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT