• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nice dive this am

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
My daughter and I went into Grand Traverse Bay (off lake mich) this am - around the harbor. Only maybe 10 meters depth at best. Just big limestone rocks. Visibility was maybe 50 feetish. Lots of little smallmouth, rock bass and suckers as usual. As we got out into the deeper water I saw an odd shape hanging in the open water. BIG smallmouth bass - I'd say around 15-18 inches. Seeing him about 25 feet away I dove directly down to the bottom and turned to face where he'd been. This pretty much allways works and he came over to within half a meter - checking out my mask and the pinky finger I was wiggling. A bit further out along the breakwall we accumilated four of these bad boys. I'd hang on the bottom and one or the other of them would come right in. I settled in at about 15 feet, paralleling one that was watching us from open water. Adjusted my pace and movements to see if he'd swim with me; he formed up on my left about a meter away. Had to give up spearfishing because of stuff like this. Carp are a bit more wary but basically respond to the same behavior - though they are less territorial and hence less apt to hang past their initial curiosity. I think 'blue water' free-dive spearing for fast movers like salmon or lake trout might be interesting(illegal last time I looked). Suckers can be more challenging if it's not mating season. I think they may be too dumb to be curious.

Lovely dive for these non-opulent waters. Wish I had a camera. The colors are nothing to write home about, but the shading and light are cool. And the big bass look very impressive from below in the play of light rays through waves and sediment.

Nothing like a nice morning dive to make you feel grateful for the little things.

Last edited:
Diving with Daughter

16 - been snorking since probably 12 or so. Really a great activity to be able to do with your daughter, though we do tend to accumilate an audience above as well as below.

It's a joy to share such a great interest with your kid.

By the way - anybody check out the link attached to the word 'grateful' in my post above? Certainly brings up something I think most of us take for granted.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT