• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nimrod gaucho garage find

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nov 17, 2019
Hi all,

New guy here, I've been snorkeling for years around Devon and Cornwall in the UK, bit of surfing and bodyboarding as well, but this year I've been reading up on spearfishing and freediving breath hold techniques. At only 6 or 8 metres down I'm watching a few 16 to 20 inch pollock and bass and full grown lobsters (yes I know I can't shoot crusts!)

After mentioning this to a friend of a friend he gave me his old Nimrod gaucho speargun. Bit of Googleing says they stopped making them in the mid '70's!

My question is - is it worth getting new rubbers and spears for it or spending more on a new speargun? The shop in Paignton has 20% off rrp sale at the mo.......

Any advice welcomed!!

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I say, get the new gun. By the time you invest in rubber and all the jewellery, you will not be far off of the price of new gun. And who knows what condition trigger mech is. Also, I bet there is no rail, and to me this is a big no-no, accuracy will be mediocre at best. I recommend to buy “brand new”, not slightly used one. The reason is not obvious. I owned many different guns over last few years, and I never sold the gun that was good, always the one I am not happy with. Keep that in mind.

For someone who is just dreaming up his new hobby, it would make sense to start on a lowest budget, like buying used stuff on garage sale, because chances are that he will not stay with the hobby too long. You are already in the water, you see fish, almost guaranteed you are the keeper. Get proper gear.

I say, get the new gun. By the time you invest in rubber and all the jewellery, you will not be far off of the price of new gun. And who knows what condition trigger mech is. Also, I bet there is no rail, and to me this is a big no-no, accuracy will be mediocre at best. I recommend to buy “brand new”, not slightly used one. The reason is not obvious. I owned many different guns over last few years, and I never sold the gun that was good, always the one I am not happy with. Keep that in mind.

For someone who is just dreaming up his new hobby, it would make sense to start on a lowest budget, like buying used stuff on garage sale, because chances are that he will not stay with the hobby too long. You are already in the water, you see fish, almost guaranteed you are the keeper. Get proper gear.

It's a cut and close case of finding the answer I was after :) thanks for the advice, I was looking for used gear that someone had bought this summer then decided spearfishing isn't for them, but I'll go see the shop in Paignton :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT