• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nitrox and Drysuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
any thoughts on possible side effects of using high oxy content as a fill gas for a dry suit?

I like diving Nitrox and Finally got a trilam drysuit (Bare ATR HD), and am wondering if the laminate will weaken faster with high O2. I don't have the $$$ for argon yet.

Rubber seems to have a greatly shortened life span with high 02.

Willer

I have used nitrox as a fill gas in trilam suits, rubber suits, crushed suits, and clx suits. I haven't had any problems, but argon is a whole lot nicer .:cool:

Jon

thanks - didn;t think there was a problem - but this dry suit is my new baby...

one day Argon - but for now - no $$$

for a 13cu.ft. argon fill up here they want $40, is it just me or is that a little over the top?

Willer

$40!!!!:vangry

I'd call that surface narcosis!;)

We get $1 a cubic foot and that's if its boosted to 3000psi.

You need to find a new shop or I need to open one up in your area and retire.:D

Jon

the local dive shop doesn't fill Argon. I have to go to a welding shop.

they quoted $40 for a 13cu.ft. fill @ 3000psi

a tech shop would be nice up here - pitty the coast is 5 hours away. 8 if you hit a moose...

Willer

Here's what I did before we had tech shops around here that could boost argon.

Dump the 13 and get one of the older lp almuminum 14.7cuft pony bottles. They are filled at 2015 psi.

Rent your own argon tank(s) from the local gas suppplier.

Build your own transfiller whip, or buy it from Global manufacturing in Milwaukee.

Fill your own bottles and charge your friends for the service. ;)

It is really easy to build one. all you need is the correct cga adaptor and a scuba transfill whip. You can even put a cheap gauge in it to see how much gas you have.

If use use your argon sparingly, don't make drastic changes in depth every two minutes:D , you can make that little bottle last a looong time.

Jon

Reactions: Amphibious
Friends? that dive???

I'm the only diver above Basic OW at my ENTIRE University, and I've only been able to find 3 of those (even after a rather exaustive advert binge)

I am one of 3 instructors in town.

I'd be the only one filling Argon, well maybe one other.

I miss the coast! :waterwork

Willer

Reactions: Jon
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT