• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

no difference

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hi

efficiency is the ratio between input and output. higher efficiency means greater output with the same (or lesser) input. technique training will increase your efficiency which means more meters in the same time/same oxygen consumption. for example you could practise relaxation, streamlining or kicking seperately before putting it all together.
panos' suggestion of using video is excellent. usually people don't realise their mistakes until they see themselves on video. it's an excellent training tool. i also agree with his statement of softer fins being more preferable for training technique. too much physical effort shifts awareness away from kicking, streamlining, etc. towards feeling muscle pain. and then kicks get dodgy. which at the end of a demanding dive can cause much stress (and then things get even worse).
i think that your fins are good material. and you can always change to something else later. also your diving performance is really good, especially since you said you just started.
keep going :)

roland

firefly said:
many thanks for all the replies
if a diver is swimming fast in dynamics how important is relaxation then?
greetings from sandra

Still very important. Even in competitive swimming, where one can breathe often, relaxation is still very beneficial for anything longer than a short sprint. The more relaxed the muscles that are in the recovery phase of the stroke (i.e., all muscles that are not providing a necessary motion), the more "recovery" they get, and the more energy that can be directed toward the contracting muscles that are propelling the swimmer.

Relaxation is even more important for dymanic apnea, regardless of the speed, because the more relaxed the muscles that do not need to be contracting at any given time, the less O2 consumed. A relaxed body will also aid proper technique and streamlining.

Re: Don't Kick Harder!

SanSan said:
Well I wouldn't totaly agree on Ur definition of efficiency.

I was not presumptuous enough to give MY definition of efficiency...

I only said that this concept is quite complex and needs to be defined according to the goal set...

Anyway efficiency is not the SPEED in dynamic apnea (proof : Stephane Mifsud who did 175 m extremely slowly (30 s/25 m)...

Relaxation is always important. If you are focused, you can be relaxed even when you swim very fast. You need to find out exactly what your body does and what muscles you should use and what muscles you can relax. Then you can keep them relaxed, even when those that make you move, work hard.

Relaxation during fast dunamics is very importand in lactic acid training dynamics, where you need to do very fast dynamics, and long distance as well. You can only do this right when the rest of your body is relaxed.

Learning to be relaxed while working is VERY importand in all disciplines that involve movement. Why burn extra oxygen? Why make it hard to equilize? :)

firefly said:
hello

i recently bought my first freediving fins (cressi gara 2000 ld) and went to the pool. i managed to dive 50m quite easily. but i also dive 50m without fins quite easily. i was thinking that with those big fins itwould be firther. can anyone explain this?? am i doing something wrong??

thanks sandra

I think your "freediving fins" are too stiff ; you need stiff blades to dive deep.. in a swimming pool it would be better for you to use softer blades ;

at the beginning, just buy the cheapest so called "swimming pool" fins...

If you do 50 m without fins right from the beginning, it is very good... you must be a former competitive swimmer... I suggest that you should put a pair of ankle weights aroud your neck (2 X 0.500 kg) in order to decrease your floatability... and you might do even better with no fins...

then take a pair of soft fins and a kickboard and do some laps in order to improve your kicking technique and the strength of your legs...

you bo better with no fins than with fins probably because you are more familiar with normal swimming...

But first : are you training alone ??? you must be watched while underwater either by a lifeguard or by a buddy....

apnea is dangerous...

I would like to add one more point to the discussion on technique. Focus on moving yourself ahead through the water, not on pushing the water back. its a fine distinction, but an important one. If you push hard, water will be pushed back, and you will move foreward. But you will do much better if you push yourself ahead. Do this by applying pressure a little more slowly and constantly increasing it. By the end of each stroke you can feel yourself surge foreward. This occurs because the water molecules stay together, forming a much more solid medium. Not my idea; I got the basic idea from a book called Total Immersion. If you want proof of the solid nature of water, do a belly flop off a diving board : o
Howard

firefly said:
hello

i recently bought my first freediving fins (cressi gara 2000 ld) and went to the pool. i managed to dive 50m quite easily. but i also dive 50m without fins quite easily. i was thinking that with those big fins itwould be firther. can anyone explain this?? am i doing something wrong??

thanks

sandra

Interesting post... Your homonym Sandra PIOVANACCI is a former competitive swimmer (without fins)...

She began freediving last Year and broke the National Fench record in apnea without fins doing 100 m...

As far as I know she does the same WITH fins...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT