• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Noobie from Southampton

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matw1

Apr 13, 2020
Hey all, thought i'd give a quick hello

My daughter and i would like to start getting into spear fishing.
We have both been interested for sometime but just never got round to taking it up.

Once all the corona stuff has passed we will visit the shop and purchase wet suits etc but was wondering what courses we need to do before we can actually take part.
I see the PADI open water would we need to do this first or can we just go places that are safe and build experience.
we both swim alot, rivers, sea, harbours ect

thanks all

If you specifically want to spearfish and feel you need training, I would suggest that you consider taking a spearfishing course rather than SCUBA diving or freediving.

Do you snorkel?

If you specifically want to spearfish and feel you need training, I would suggest that you consider taking a spearfishing course rather than SCUBA diving or freediving.

Do you snorkel?

I mean I've not done a great deal but do it on holiday, and in the rivers ect.
I'm a pretty decent swimmer as is my daughter.
We were chatting last night and feel that we may well do the scuba course anyway as its something we've not done.
I'm a very experienced fisherman, I've pretty much done it all except spear fishing.
I could probably pick it up ok, but wasnt sure on regs, if we had to have a certificate for it.

Do you know any places that are good for beginners to practice and gain experience.
Were in Southampton but can travel

Thanks for the reply

It's possible but not usual to spear on SCUBA; some frown on it but it's noisy so not as advantageous as generally assumed, or so I'm told. Spearing generally takes place in the context of snorkeling, so experience in this area is relevant.

The much vaunted buddy diving system is more controversial for spearing than for most other diving pursuits. Carrying a loaded Speargun, stealth and convenience are factors. I prefer to spear alone, as do many others. But some prefer to go as a group or buddy-up. Each to their own.

Swimming, esp. open water swimming, is good and useful but bear in mind that snorkelling you will be using only leg power, usually with big, long fins. A wetsuit will keep you warm and buoyant (relatively safe) provided you weight yourself correctly. "It's not rocket science" as our American friends say but I would suggest getting comfortable and confident with snorkeling first before adding the complications of spearing gear.

My son was at Southampton University for 4 years. Unfortunately I didn't get to explore much. Although I did find that wearing a camo wetsuit near defense related sites tends to raise the attention of locals! I recall one forum member had unusual access to parts of Gosport and got bass and other fish but that's a restricted area.

One area I explored was too shallow for my tastes and had no visibility. But I expect there are times and places that are worth more exploring. Portland Harbour might be a good, gentle place to start and you might find some shellfish too.

It's possible but not usual to spear on SCUBA; some frown on it but it's noisy so not as advantageous as generally assumed, or so I'm told. Spearing generally takes place in the context of snorkeling, so experience in this area is relevant.

The much vaunted buddy diving system is more controversial for spearing than for most other diving pursuits. Carrying a loaded Speargun, stealth and convenience are factors. I prefer to spear alone, as do many others. But some prefer to go as a group or buddy-up. Each to their own.

Swimming, esp. open water swimming, is good and useful but bear in mind that snorkelling you will be using only leg power, usually with big, long fins. A wetsuit will keep you warm and buoyant (relatively safe) provided you weight yourself correctly. "It's not rocket science" as our American friends say but I would suggest getting comfortable and confident with snorkeling first before adding the complications of spearing gear.

My son was at Southampton University for 4 years. Unfortunately I didn't get to explore much. Although I did find that wearing a camo wetsuit near defense related sites tends to raise the attention of locals! I recall one forum member had unusual access to parts of Gosport and got bass and other fish but that's a restricted area.

One area I explored was too shallow for my tastes and had no visibility. But I expect there are times and places that are worth more exploring. Portland Harbour might be a good, gentle place to start and you might find some shellfish too.

Thanks mate.
hear what your saying about scuba and spearing, we were not thinking of doing the 2 together, just thought it would be a good experience to do the PADI and then we could scuba when not spearing or snorkelling, we both love the water but due to a previous job not been able to get out as much as hoped but thats all changed now as working else where.

Think we will get the wetsuits and all the other stuff we need and head out to get experienced just snorkelling and holding breath etc, then at a later date look into the spear gun.

Looking through wetsuits is a minefield, im guessing 2 piece 5mm or would 3mm be better.
Dont mind buying more than 1 suit each if better

Thanks again

2 piece 5mm spearo wetsuit would be my suggestion. Yes 2 piece with built in hood and either the traditional simple high pants or the long John/ farmer John pants. The latter can work well if you dive from a kayak. It occurs to me that this might be a good choice for female speara too, offering a little more coverage and warmth although I expect there other options.

There are all kinds of options, some more worthwhile than others. If diving from shore, a nylon outer will provide the wetsuit with some necessary protection against abraison and cuts. Elbow and knee patches are unnecessary I think but not a bad thing. Loading pad on the sternum. A simple open cell interior will stick to your skin keeping you warm but you need lube to get into it without causing damage. I think this is the choice of most spearos but some members like slick coatings that require little or no lube. Others have used zip fronted, nylon lined scuba suits (easier to get into) or dry suits - I wouldn't recommend either but they are options that will suit some people.

Hey all, thought i'd give a quick hello

My daughter and i would like to start getting into spear fishing.
We have both been interested for sometime but just never got round to taking it up.

Once all the corona stuff has passed we will visit the shop and purchase wet suits etc but was wondering what courses we need to do before we can actually take part.
I see the PADI open water would we need to do this first or can we just go places that are safe and build experience.
we both swim alot, rivers, sea, harbours ect

thanks all

I intend to start spearfishing this year; last year I did a course on freediving with Emma Farrell at gofreedive - they also do spearfishing courses.
I contacted several people about freediving but Emma was far more focused on the safety side of things and you learn more about the science behind it than anyone else seemed to be.
If you want to stay safe, and gain some knowledge before you head out there, I recommend looking her up and maybe doing a weekend course.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Reactions: Mr. X
Definitely worth finding out about risks, such as Shallow Water Blackout. USA spearfishing pioneer Terry Mass published a sobering article on this.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT