• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

North-East Scotland in Winter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lukeventer

Oct 22, 2007
Hi folks

I've been in the water in the Moray Firth a handful of times recently in order to acclimatise, as all the freediving / spearfishing / lobster-catching I've done was in South Africa many many moons ago.

Had a couple of great dives, one in particular where the vis was awesome, much better than I thought possible in these parts. Doubt it happens too often, but at least it happens...

I was wondering what the deal was with winter diving here. Are there shootable fish around? If so, I'll make a plan to buy a speargun, as getting my old on from SA would probably cost the same as a new one here. One thing I kept a lookout for were lobster. Disappointed to say that I didn't see a single one (this was off the rocky headlands east of Sandend). Not even any sign of one, like a broken leg floating around. There were a few creels a bit further along though, so they must be around.

Anyone have experience of these parts, and is it worth me getting my hopes up for some good old butt-freezing cold winter diving?

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much......... Spearfishing gets a bit grim in feb-april on E Scotland.
That's not to say don't have a go but I wouldn't expect any record bags and I prob wouldn't rush to buy a gun tbh.
Lobster will be a reasonable bet as a winter target but they are also going to dwindle away by mid winter.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Grant. You dive these parts, or more West Coast?

Heard that there is a brief mid-winter influx of large female lobster most years, but can't remember where I saw it or how reliable the info was.

Reactions: bombadil
I dive both coasts but mostly East around Barns Ness area.
I'm not aware of seeing bigger lobster coming in in winter, however it could be possible if something to do with their lifecycle? I doubt it could be food related in winter.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find more info on the lobster.

Rest of the time I'll just be heading out more as an excuse just to get in the water, rather than with thoughts on getting any big lobster bags.

The local dog-walkers / beachgoers have been interesting. Each time I'm out there I can see everyone stops to watch, like they've never seen anyone out diving before. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a large crowd gathering, but there have been a few cars that have stopped and walkers lingering for a while at the cliff edge. Then they get bored and move on, probably after realising that there isn't about to be an invasion spearheaded by Russian frog-men. Not like the southern hemisphere where we're dime a dozen.

Hi Luke
I stay in Inverness and have just recently got into the freediving I would be keen to get some time in the water with someone with more experience. Maybe let me know next time your heading out I'll tag along. I'm fortunate to have a job that lets me tour Scotland and flexible with time. If your interested let me know. Thanks
Mick

Hi Mick

I wouldn't say I'm very experienced, but I'm getting the hang of it again, kinda, after many years away from the ocean. But I'd be keen to meet up for some dives.

I live in Insch, Aberdeenshire, and have been going to the Moray Firth coast to dive, usually Sandend. I'm keen to explore new spots, but for the time being it's probably better to stick to the spots I know, so Sandend it'll be. I'll PM you before I next go, was thinking Sunday as the wind isn't too bad (will be cold though!). Let me know if you're keen, otherwise we'll go another time cos I know sunday is short notice.

Hi Luke

I know Sandend well beautiful spot it's usually where I head for a surf. Fished it a few times with little success but be keen to explore.

I will be pushed to make this Sunday but hopefully any other time. PM and hopefully get out soon.

Cheers

Hi Luke

I know Sandend well beautiful spot it's usually where I head for a surf. Fished it a few times with little success but be keen to explore.

I will be pushed to make this Sunday but hopefully any other time. PM and hopefully get out soon.

Cheers
Hi Mick, no worries, I'll pm you when I go next. I'm also flexible with time, so might be this coming week sometime

A few observations on my handful of dives so far...

7mm open cell is currently overkill. It's still early winter and I'd imagine the water temps will drop in Jan/Feb, but a 5mm would be more than sufficient right now. Air temps around 0-3 deg, haven't checked what Moray Firth water temps currently are.

Am wondering whether I should scrap my plan to get a 3mm open cell for the summer and just use my surfing suit.

Visibility is better than I thought it would be. Not great by southern hemi standards, but I was expecting worse. I've only been diving when wind is offshore, so that may have helped in blowing the surface muck out to sea.

Not many lobster about. Not even any sign of them, like broken legs etc. Might have to head out deeper to where the creel boats drop their pots, but need to get my fitness up a it for that. Seen some shootable fish hanging around at edge of visibility (no speargun at present, financial manager / wife put foot down after wetsuit purchase). No idea on UK species, but they'd be a meal for two.

The coastal community must not see a lot of divers. Anyone walking past always stops for long time to stare. If it was easier to get my suit off I'd moon them. Lots of cars stop to watch too, but then again they might be doggers.

Even though I haven't shot any fish or grabbed any bugs, it's still great to get out in the water for a dive and explore new spots! Seen some reef-break potential for surfing too that I'd like to check out when there's a swell running.

A few observations on my handful of dives so far...

7mm open cell is currently overkill. It's still early winter and I'd imagine the water temps will drop in Jan/Feb, but a 5mm would be more than sufficient right now. Air temps around 0-3 deg, haven't checked what Moray Firth water temps currently are.

Am wondering whether I should scrap my plan to get a 3mm open cell for the summer and just use my surfing suit.

Visibility is better than I thought it would be. Not great by southern hemi standards, but I was expecting worse. I've only been diving when wind is offshore, so that may have helped in blowing the surface muck out to sea.

Not many lobster about. Not even any sign of them, like broken legs etc. Might have to head out deeper to where the creel boats drop their pots, but need to get my fitness up a it for that. Seen some shootable fish hanging around at edge of visibility (no speargun at present, financial manager / wife put foot down after wetsuit purchase). No idea on UK species, but they'd be a meal for two.

The coastal community must not see a lot of divers. Anyone walking past always stops for long time to stare. If it was easier to get my suit off I'd moon them. Lots of cars stop to watch too, but then again they might be doggers.

Even though I haven't shot any fish or grabbed any bugs, it's still great to get out in the water for a dive and explore new spots! Seen some reef-break potential for surfing too that I'd like to check out when there's a swell running.
A 7mm suit is pretty much the only suit I, and most the experienced spearos I know, use on E coast Scotland for most the year in temps from 10-15 deg. If it's under 9 deg I'll break out the 8 mm and if its over 15 deg the 5 mm is just the job. That's a rough guide and of course you can mix and match different jackets/ trousers etc. depending on how / what youre hunting or what you happen to find in the dive bag.
To spearfish effectively and consistently catch bigger fish you've got to keep movement to an absolute minimum and slow everything right down. It doesn't take long at all to chill in a 5 mm even in summer if you are diving and doing aspetto but a 7 mm suit will give you 6-8 comfortable hours in the water in summer.
On the other hand we find 5 mm suits too warm for body boarding in winter and it's easy to overheat in them.
If you are actively swimming and moving a lot you will find a 7 mm may be too warm but if that's the case it may just be an indication that you could use less energy, slow things down a lot and you'll maybe start seeing some of the bigger more wary fish. Just my thoughts and you might find what works for you is totally different.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT