• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

North Wales 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Broseidon

Lord of the Brocean
Aug 13, 2007
Well, last year was the best year for bass I've ever seen - we had some incredible diving in some incredible conditions - let's hope 2019 has more of the same!

I'm not sure who's still about on the forum but it looks like I'm looking for a dive buddy this year as @DafyddRees has finally admitted he's a terrible spearo and put his gear on eBay. If any of the old-timers are still about and fancy smashing some of the headlands and exciting spots around the Llyn, let me know.

Anyway, the season is finally underway, looking forward to someone other than me posting a report this year!

this old bastard is still about looks like its just me and you bro well have to get out this year

Reactions: Broseidon
Good to see you're still here mate. We'll definitely get in.

I was out over the weekend - had bass up to 5lbs, mullet, lobsters and prawns - to be honest, I was slightly surprised to see bass as the water is so cold, just under 9 degrees. Still, I know a nice shallow spot where they seem to come in early and feed on the pipefish and crabs - as expected, when I gutted them, they were full of peelers, pipefish and prawns - experience paying off (y)

I'll edit up the video later and post it.

Reactions: DafyddRees
nice one i always have a gander of the stomach contents to see what they are feeding on.....9c would have thought it may be warmer now with this mild weather good catch hopefully catch up this season (y)

9c would have thought it may be warmer now with this mild weather good

I was surprised as well, according to the sea temp data it's slightly colder than average for the time of year - has been hovering around 8.9 - 9.3 for the past week or so. It felt warmer on the high tide compared to the low - the low tide was face-stingingly chilly. I was shivering after 2.5 hours with a 5mm suit and 3mm vest.

There were a lot of bait fish around - mainly herring and whitebait, saw a couple of shoals of small sand eels. Half tempted to shoot a few of the bigger herring, they were probably 6 inches or so.

Really enjoyed the video, I'm going to try and get out a good few times this season.
Some nice early bass

Really enjoyed the video, I'm going to try and get out a good few times this season.
Some nice early bass

Thanks mate - judging by what I saw, I think it’s going to be another epic season. The last 3 years I’ve been consistently seeing bigger bass; the biggest one in the video was 5lbs, it’s a decent fish. Not that many years ago I’d have considered that an outstanding bass, now it’s just a bit bigger than average. One fillet is actually in the oven right now!

It’s been an age since we dived together, if you fancy meeting up some time, drop me a PM!

Great vid man!

Thanks dude - I'll try and do another one this month if I get a chance. Hopefully I'll find someone to fish one of the big headlands with me - that would be a good video. I might do some foraging ones next month. Watched a kick-ass video on how to catch razors with a knife, that's next on my hit-list!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobdonny
I sometimes include them in the summer specimen hunt, Spaniard loves them... no need for cooking even!

Attachments

• 80ED2B54-DC2F-4770-A643-A93106EAD03B.jpeg
    80ED2B54-DC2F-4770-A643-A93106EAD03B.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 204
I think they’re a lovely thing... when they’re cooked... not sure I’d fancy them raw..!

I’ve been a bit off raw sea food since my Loch Fyne oyster horror in 2012.

Yes well I was urging a bit watching him!
I do like the white foot part, just flash fried for a few minutes or at best in my wood fired oven at 400c for 30 seconds.
Lovely sweet flavour a little like our locale ormer.

Fantastic vid bro!
I've a local beach with millions of them but could never grab em with salt. I've read about the knife technique but this vid is great! Cheers!
Looking forward to your next vid

Fantastic vid bro!
I've a local beach with millions of them but could never grab em with salt. I've read about the knife technique but this vid is great! Cheers!
Looking forward to your next vid

Its the best razor clam catching video I've found, it's not mine, it's from a cracking guy called Tom Ashton up in Scotland, his channel is brilliant:

I've failed miserably at catching razors - I've never found salting works - I recon I just salted every worm hole on the beach! The only thing that work for me was a garden fork - dig the buggers up quick before they can escape - you end up excavating all kind of things - sea mice (soft and furry sea urchins), worms, sand eels, weaver fish, crabs and if you're lucky a few razors.

I read years ago on the Cornish thread that guys were using the tips of their spears to trap the razor shell, in the same way the guy in the video uses his knife, never worked for me. I'll be down at the coast in a couple of weeks - family trip - but I'll try to get a little video together (y)

Reactions: bobdonny
Yo Bro!
I am still about (just not been on here this year yet!) and real keen on a dive this year, I am working out of Caernarfon now and on flexi time so can almost always make time for a dive! had a couple of great dives this year already with enough bass seen along with a couple of decent Pollack and plenty of claws. Have you still got my number? will pm it if not, would be good to catch up again now the other Dave has left you..!

Reactions: apneaboy
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT