• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Northern European Gun setup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huan

Jul 4, 2004
Recently I changed my setup from a Picasso 90 w/6.5mm spear and a 20mm band with single wrap of 1.4mm Instead I now use a 6mm spear and a 16mm band with a double wrap of 1.2mm mono.
I have found this setup to allow greater distance and more accurate shooting. my highly accurate atomic calibrated kitchen scales puts the difference in weight between the 6.5mm and 6mm spear as 50g.
for ages I was thinking that the harder the pull the harder the spear is shot but with the current setup I am able to nail fish way further out than before
My question to all the other spearos in Ireland, UK and Brittany is what do you use and why?
looking forward to your replys

Huan

Well at the moment I have 2 setups, a 75 esclapez with 16mm bands and a 6mm spear with a single wrap of 2.0mm mono and for good viz a concept pro 90 with 20mm bands and a 6.5mm shaft & 2.0mm shooting line. The 90 has a reel so I can use as many wraps as I want depending on the viz, but usually 2. There is still plenty of power and have taken fish at range with this setup. I do have one problem with it though, It seems to always shoot low compared to my 75?? any ideas?:confused:

Tecdave
I would use a smaller diameter shooting line 2.0mm is very strong , too strong for any fish we get around here anyway.
The only advantage is that maybe it chafes longer if you don't like replacing shooting line regularly. 1.4mm is plenty strong for Pollock and Bass and will be way easier for the spear to pull.

Huan
I

Shoot low?

Well, with so little info, all one can offer are 'ideas'. I suggest you look at the grip. Luger type grips shoot low unless one is experienced in use. By way of explanation, a Luger grip is angled back from the perpendicular. Examine the shaft tip. Is it single barb? Is it mounted on top? Does the barb have a slight curl or other bias? These will cause the gun to shoot low. Small, thin shafts are known to drop quickly when they lose velocity. This is normal. Barrel flex is an old bugaboo. Presumably, a mfgr as experienced as Esclapez has worked this out in design. A 90 cm (3 feet) gun is rather small to employ two 20 mm bands. Recoil could be causing the gun to buck. This will bump the rear of the arrow causing drop.
Pesky

For Huan, the energy imparted to an arrow is proportional to weight and velocity. However, for physical, mathematical reasons, a thin, light shaft will accellerate faster and should achieve higher energies within its normal range, in spite of the light weight, and as long as the propulsive force is not changed.

Originally posted by tecdave
Well at the moment I have 2 setups, a 75 esclapez with 16mm bands and a 6mm spear with a single wrap of 2.0mm mono and for good viz a concept pro 90 with 20mm bands and a 6.5mm shaft & 2.0mm shooting line. The 90 has a reel so I can use as many wraps as I want depending on the viz, but usually 2. There is still plenty of power and have taken fish at range with this setup. I do have one problem with it though, It seems to always shoot low compared to my 75?? any ideas?:confused:

Last edited:
Alison;

I think I must have a different model as it came with 20mm mega booster bands and I cant see any adjustible guide thingy?? Have you ever played around with the handle adjustment? was wondering if that will make much of a difference to the accuracy?? re. the reel, I lock it off so no more line can be pulled off it.

Have never speared off Penmon but fished it many times. Lots of Bass off the Red bouy between puffin and penmon. I was also looking at Moelfre island as it has some nice tide runs and a easy swim from the stone beach; any thoughts??
Have you been out anywhere recently? Am in the middle of writing up my dissertation at the mo but MUST find time to get out and get some dinner!!!:p

Huan
Will try a thinner shooting line and see hw it goes,

peskydor;
Cheers for the explaination but Esclapez are euro guns and so only have one set of bands (except the T4)
So recoil is not that great. It only has a single flopper and is on the top of the shaft but does not have any curl in it. So am a bit stuck as my 75 is supper acurate??

Cheers 4 your help

Dave

I have the same muzzle as that but no guide just before it. But my gun does have a full lenghth rail un like my challenger, which has the shaft guide. The rail runs from the muzzel to the reel fixing on top of the neopreane barrel cover.

Why's the viz so bad this year?? dont think Ive had over 4m all season:head
A mate of mine went down the lleyn last weekend and got 4 Bass and 3 Pollack, biggest bass of around 4lb. He said that the bay was full of Gill nets as well , saw a few there last year bur they didnt last long ;)

Lets hope it picks up for the end of the summer :waterwork

Dave

Fishing mostly in Cornwall, for bass,I use a variety of guns from 60-120cm depending on conditions. Most have 6.5mm double barb spears (except the 60, single barb for hole fishing), although I sometimes use a french trident in the 75 and 90, which are the guns I use the vast majority of the time.
I use 1.8mm mono on all my guns, not so much for the strength, as the ease of handling compared with thinner line, although I would worry about snapping 1.2mm line whilst pulling bass out of holes or tangles of kelp. All my guns have a single wrap of line, as I find a double wrap just gets in the way, and makes it harder to control the fish once shot. Most of my bigger bass are speared less than 2 foot off the end of the gun anyway.
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

here we use 16mm bands and 6mm spear for especially spinefoots and little breams.By the way if there is anybody out there who hunts spinefoots, it works like charm for it.;)

Tecdave, obviously a miscommunication. Over here, 'bands' means more than one.

>>a concept pro 90 with 20mm bands and a 6.5mm shaft & 2.0mm shooting line<<

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT