• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

norway in april or may

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

takeshi

Oct 6, 2004
Me and my brother are planning a trip to vestlandet or nordlandet in norway around april or may. I would appreciate any info on good spots, what fish to expect, visibility etc. I have done some spearfishing in oslofjorden (Hvasser), hvalstad and kragerö. That is all in the south of norway, I have a feeling it is even better in the west and north.

Me and my brother Pekka were in northern Norway last summer. I would say that the conditions may not be the best in april or may.
We were there in June and the temperature never got higher than 10 C, neither air or water.
Other than that, Norway is quite nice place for spearing. Lots of fish and good visibility.

br,

Tuomo

Edit:

here is the story of our trip:
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=51298"]Norway Spearing..here is my experience[/ame]

Last edited:
Hi Laszlo, nice to get some more swedes on the forum. Tell us more about the spearing in norway. Good visibility? What kind of fish did you take? I will sure contact the people at frivannsliv. It would be nice to get cod the size of those on the site.

Hi again.

Thanks tak. Water temperature was 12 degrees C. Visibility was about seven meters.
You could shoot plenty of small "sei", (about 35cm). I promise you won’t starve.
Got one “lyr” 3-4kg,
Saw only small "torsk" and one "breiflabb" which I missed, because I had no idea how aware it was of my presence. Besides I didn’t know the range of my new Riffe gun. Sometimes it took me 5 minutes to reload. When I did my part the gun had lots of oomph in it!! I even managed 2 fish with one shot.
Borje will know the name of the bridge-leg I was freediving around. It is situated about 30km`s from Knarvik. Fairly strong currents though. I did not dare / do not have the capacity to go deeper than 10meters, so I don’t know what you can find below that. The travel through Norway, by car, is breathtaking. Simply beautiful.
Greetings Laszlo

Hi, I did some dives to about -20m and little deeper in my search of fish in norway.. but I have to say that the best hunting was done in a right place rather than the right depth.. I saw nothing at the depth that I didnt see at about -10m.
Water was clear as it can be but cold.. Cod are plenty, but you better take mucho cooking recepies for you white flaky cod... as it might taste little dull after third day..
Pollack, plenty again, smallish, but some larger ones around, after few easy smaller ones I tended to let them swim by rather than track them with my gun.. I didnt see any wolf fish around.. but some beatiful marine life, jellies and all sort of things stuck on rocks.. So there is plenty to see under..

I think this year I will concentrate on UK waters in Cornwall and go for some more Bass.. as I think it is much better tasting than cod.. obviously my opinion only.. :)

Have good trip!

Pekka

Come dive on vestlandet, travel to Bergen, and from Bergen to Sotra.. You wont be disappointed :)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I contacted Börje at frivannsliv and told him I had some days set aside and could go anywhere in norway and so where would he recommend ? He said Lofoten. After checking the ways to travel to Lofoten we settled on Narvik which is close. We had a great time. We got to dive on one of the wrecks in the harbour and got spearfishing done every day. I think I'll set aside some more days on my next trip and go all the way out to Lofoten. Spearing in the harbour of Narvik was good but I think bottom conditions are probably better further out towards Lofoten. There was alot of cod and sei and spearing them was ridiculously easy. On som occasions I had cod swim up to take a look at the tip of the spear. Not such a smart move from the viewpoint of natural selection.

some pics from the trip

Attachments

• my friend ola.jpg
    my friend ola.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 235
  • me.jpg
    me.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 190
  • narvik.JPG
    narvik.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 178
  • cod and sei.JPG
    cod and sei.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 227
  • cod.JPG
    cod.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 188
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT