• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

nose bleeding during dives any hints ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dauphin

Nov 15, 2002
:cool:

I have been diving 5 years now with 38 logged dives all in the caribeans.

during my last trip to mexico (Mayan Riviera) from oct 26th to nov 3rd 2002 on my last 4 dives when equalizing during up and down periods of the dive my nose started to bleed and splattered blood in my mask. It never got to an alarming state, but I wonder why this is happening now?

I had a chance to ask PATRICK MUSIMU which was there for is attempt on a new world freediving record of 140 metres. He said that it probably was because I was using the air conditionning in my room during my sleep. The a/c removes the humidity in the room drying the tissues in the nose, and when you dive he said the salt water creates a shock and breaks small veins which causes the problem.

any other ideas!

thank you for your time

dauphin

nose bleeds

there are a few reasons this might be happening..

you have a cold (wait for it to get better)

You are not equalising quick enough - do it before it hurts not when it hurts

your passages are too dry - turn off the ac as patrick said, you can also try things likse Salex, non medicated saline nose sprays that make all your passages more lubricated

you are not relaxed enough - make funny faces before the dive to stretch out all the muscles, do neck and shoulder stretches (in case the blood is coming not from the sinuses but from the trachea) and keep your head and neck more relaxed during the dive.

also - it sounds funny but a friend and I swear by it, before a dive stand with the shower, hot, right on your face/sinuses for a good few minutes to warm everything up.

Decongestant might help but its not advised if you are doing anything challenging.

hope that helps

sam

Apart from agreeing with what samdive has said, also some people have very sensitive blood vessels in that area. I would guess over half the divers I know have had a small amount of bleeding from the nose. As you have done 38 dives in 5 years that's roughly 7.5 dive a year which is not alot of diving. You don't seem to suffer pain (bad sign) so the problem you have appears perfectly normal.

My buddy had the same problem after about 25 dives (done over a considerably shorter period of time - 3 months). It stopped after about 40 dives and has not returned.

My opinion for what it's worth (not much) is that your body will become used to diving sooner or later and bleeding like this will stop particularly with the more diving you undertake and the improvement in technique that only experience can bring.

However, if it gets worse or painful or bleeding is perfuse rather than the small amount of blood you get at the moment which, I repeat is normal if not usual, then see a Diving Doctor. Nobody wants permanent damage do they.

Cheers

:)

Perhaps a sinus squeeze...

was the culprit. Unequalized sinus air spaces may fill with blood/fluid during a dive. During ascent, expanding air forces blood/fluid into the nasal cavity... resembling a bloody nose.

I am in no way professional! but I have had the same problem, it happened twice in the red sea, and few times in UK..
It always start when descending... I just have to equalize my mask repeatedly to avoid any negative pressure.. and then pinch my nose really carefulle when equalizig, specially if it is hard to get my ears cleared... My nose is prone to bleeding to start with and that is why I don't think it is no wonder if it bleeds when diving occationally..
I don't know if that helps a bit..
my 2c...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT