• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nose Bleeds and Bloody Mouth

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rolando

Jun 16, 2003
What is the physiology behind abrupt nose bleeds or bloody mouths? I remember freediving and getting back onto the boat and having a metallic taste between my gums. I initially thought I may have hit my lips with the butt of the gun or something, but the metallic taste was actually the iron from my blood.

Why does this occur?

Is it just narrow/thin capillaries within the nasal passages?

Does it eventually go away?

Is it exacerbated by increased depths?

Is it a result of lack of equilization?

I think this may be an important topic for beginning spearos to be aware of. Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Safe Hunting,

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore
Rolando,

I'm not a physiology expert, but there might be several reasons for the bleeding in the nose:
- thin capillaries, as you suggested
- problems with the sinuses
- a mask too small
- you pinch your nose too hard when equalizing, etc.

The same applies for the blood taste in your mouth - it may be just the bad mouthpiece of the snorkel that makes your gums bleed or you bite on it too hard.

Anyway if there is any such problem, my suggestion is for you to go and see a doctor. It won't do any harm, except on your wallet :) , but at least you'd be more assured.

I know this is not the right place but I just read this and couldn't resist:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Methane bubbles from the sea floor could, in theory, sink ships and may explain the odd disappearances of some vessels, Australian researchers reported on Tuesday.

Who ate the whole pot of beans and sunk the 'Titanic'!?

IB

I get the same thing!

Deep breath. Hold. 10 seconds into it I start getting that iron taste in my mouth.

Weird... Could it be heamoglobin?

Yes, the metallic taste is from the iron within the hemoglobin. It's not the biting of lip or snorkel size, I usually release the snorkel from my mouth during dives. The blood in the mouth is probably a result of the connections between the oropharyngeal passages. Similarly, to when you release nasal sputum through your mouth.

I believe the problem is just thin capillaries, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks for the replies.:)

Rolando,
I think that blood in the mouth or nose after a dive comes from the sinuses. The sinuses are air-filled cavities in the skull that connect to the nasopharynx through very small holes. If these holes get obstructed (sinusitis, colds, congenital problem) the air within the sinuses does not equalize. Negative pressure is created inside (the equivalent of a suction) and the lining capillaries can bleed. Alternatively, blood may come from the middle ear but I think you would have problems with equalizing your eardrums. Maybe some Sudafed the night before you dive may help (even though it can increase your resting heart rate a bit). Hope this helps.

Angelos

Rolando,
I think that blood in the mouth or nose after a dive comes from the sinuses. The sinuses are air-filled cavities in the skull that connect to the nasopharynx through very small holes. If these holes get obstructed (sinusitis, colds, congenital problem) the air within the sinuses does not equalize. Negative pressure is created inside (the equivalent of a suction) and the lining capillaries can bleed. Alternatively, blood may come from the middle ear but I think you would have problems with equalizing your eardrums. Maybe some Sudafed the night before you dive may help (even though it can increase your resting heart rate a bit). Hope this helps.

Angelos

Rolando,

Angelos

Rolando,

Angelos

Angelos

Would rather stay away from pseudoephedrine due to its cardiovascular adverse effects.

Do you think a non-drowsy anti-histamine will do the job as well?

Thanks for the reply!

Rolando,

I agree. I don't like Sudafed either but an antihistamine would work as well, especially if you have allergies. The only time I get some bleeding in the nose/mouth is only when I am recovering from a cold.
P.S. Sorry about the mutiple posts. The server was slow and I kept hitting the "ENTER"

Angelos

Interesting post Rolando. I knew you'd ask someone after there was blood on your face after diving Saturday. Like I told you, it happens to me aswel occasionally, but never actually have I had blood on my face like you had. You had me worried a bit.... I guess now I'm getting married my parental instincts are coming out :)

Take care,

G

rolando,
good post! it's happened to me twice,the first time about 7 years ago after having a sinus cold than recently after freediving the Spiegel Grove. I didn't have a cold for the second but i had been drinking the night before and was up late. my sinuses weren't feeling normal but they gave me no problems equalizing. since then i have been having nose bleeds about every two weeks . usually its only if i am exerting myself or get really worked up. ( like ready to kill my boss) :) i went to the doctor and she said it was normal and that it should heal in time. it's been a couple months and i havent had a nosebleed in a while.

forrest

rolando,
good post! it's happened to me twice,the first time about 7 years ago after having a sinus cold than recently after freediving the Spiegel Grove. I didn't have a cold for the second but i had been drinking the night before and was up late. my sinuses weren't feeling normal but they gave me no problems equalizing. since then i have been having nose bleeds about every two weeks . usually its only if i am exerting myself or get really worked up. ( like ready to kill my boss) :) i went to the doctor and she said it was normal and that it should heal in time. it's been a couple months and i havent had a nosebleed in a while.

forrest

rolando,

forrest

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT