• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nosejob?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoPimp

Jun 9, 2004
Yes i know i'm vain and I know i will probably be subject to some ridicule for posting this but i have to ask. I will be having a nosejob (rhinoplasty) in late august. The doc said no diving for 6-8weeks and then it should be good. My question is can having a nosejob cause any permanent or long-standing problems with freediving such as equalizing bleeding, etc etc. Do any of you know any divers that have had one? are they ok?

thanks

While I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, I can say that it is unwise to ever allow surgery of the inner nasal regions (i.e. anything which affects flow of air through the nose). The function of the sinuses is not well understood. Some people who have had surgery affecting the flow of air through their nose end up with 'mental confusion', implying that the flow of air through the sinuses is critical, perhaps as a coolant mechanism or some other unknown mechanism.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I'm just a beginner but from reading alot of yoga threads here it is clear that most if not all of the the yoga breathing excercises are through the nose.

I think yoga has developed over thousands of years and they may have an insight into breathing and breathing patterns. Perhaps it may be unwise to have surgery on such a critical organ.

Hey Spearopimp

why not post a photo and we will let you know whether we think it is worth the risk!

guess it depends how bad the nose is...

I am sooooo bored today

Sam

What kind of procedure are you having done? If you are just having an oversized bridge decreased, then filing off the superficial alar cartilage or nasal bone would likely not have any longstanding effects to the nasal cavity. You should talk to the surgeon about the approach/technique for your particular surgery and any adverse effects/damage.

Yes, I already talked to my surgeon and I found that he is actually an avid scuba diver. He told me that it will have not any adverse long-term effects and that it might actually make equalizing easier because my sinuses won't get clogged as easily.

Doesn't really matter what other people think, most of my friends said I'm crazy and I don't need one. But I would like the way I look better with one and it's my body and money so I'll do what I like.

nose job

I can shed some light on this issue. After many years of nasal adjustment on the rugby pitch I decided that I wanted to get my nose fixed. After all I have my cat walk modelling career to think of! I had it done twice to get it somewhere near right and there are no affects whatsoever on my free or scuba diving. There was no pain at all after the surgery and I am so glad I had it done.

If you have any questions email me direct at thestreeters@austin.rr.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT