• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nothing left to learn?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've heard there may be a few 250lbers around (inc scuba kit), surely its better to start big while i get my aim then go onto fish later on??

how deep do you normally find plaice and flounder?

I am like Mr. X and never see the things cause i'm too busy crawling around the rocks and things. Seems to be more interesting than poking at lumps on the sand.

The only ones I have ever taken is when they foolishly move in front of me.

i too would like spago's take on night diving: how do the med. spearos think of it?

I'm about to go on my first night dive tonight, will let you know what it's like. Given the water temp I'm not expecting to see kelp even, I'm pretty sure by now it's gone into hibernation too!!!

Reactions: Almostafish
i too would like spago's take on night diving: how do the med. spearos think of it?

Depends which country it's illegal to spear at night. At least in Spain it is. Sleeping fish are sitting ducks. Otherwise night diving is a blast, especially on full moon nights with clear water. The phosphorescence is lots of fun, you move your hands and they leave luminous trails. You also see night feeding morays, and other sea life that one would not normally find.

Okay. 75cm. I like Cressi, they sell good stuff.

So you reckon Comanche Mr X?
I would think so. I never owned one but I've held one (nice slim grip, would likely fit any size hand well) and several forum members had them (Pav, Glowworm, etc.) and liked them. I've seen more spare parts for these than any other make or model. I think they they look v. sleek and as I said, Spaghetti told us about the Italian World Champion using a 60 & 75cm Commanche to win. Having aluminium barrels they are also reasonably priced (shop around), while still being light, strong & corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: apneaboy
One more vote for Comanche .
Still use mine despite buying " better " guns , well balanced , accurate , cheap parts .
Very good first gun and beyond .

Reactions: Mr. X and apneaboy
The night dive was pretty good, I think come summer it'll be loads of fun, The moon was waning and almost new and by 9.30pm had dropped below the horizon, so torches were definately needed, saw one juvenile snapper who bolted as soon as I shone the torch on him, too small to take anyway. The phosphorescent plankton was awesome, looks like a comet tail while swimming.

Not that i have ever seen any in the UK, i was wondering how the hell some of the people on youtube have speared cuttlefish or squid !! any idea anyone ? And cheers for all the good advice on the flatties

I've had a few opportunities to spear cuttlefish but never would , far too amazing to kill.

Because they're both bloney tasty, that's why :p

And good angling bait too.

You see lots of both down here.

I don't spear, but I do want to, BUUUUT, I always notice flathead over here just due to the way the sand has a different "ripple". You know the way the floor ripples a bit? Well in the case of a flathead they usually give themselves way due to changing this ripple.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT