• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

O-rings (especially trigger pin)

The only info I had on the Skorpion was that user manual which I downloaded when they were still selling it. The back end of the gun is the same as the Omer Tempest, so the only big changes are the tapered front end tank and the small diameter muzzle/nose cone. That tapered front end made the gun nose heavy when loaded in the water, worse than the Cyrano, so it was not very popular. The Seac Shotgun shared the same fate, not enough buoyancy up front.

The original Cyrano came out in 1994 and introduced the 11 mm inner barrel. Mares wanted it to look different to previous models, so came up with the snout on the nose cone, which is why the gun is called Cyrano after the swordsman Cyrano de Bergerac. They couldn't allow high pressure air in the cylindrical hand hold section or it would break, so they added the inner bulkhead section. By having a void in there it provided some buoyancy rather than let it flood. The Cyrano has two "O" ring mounting grooves in the front end of the inner barrel, the front one seals the space between the two piece bulkhead/nose cone, the second one is the pressure seal for the front end of the tank. The spacing between them indicates how much tank length is lost compared to a Sten. Much later the gun was produced as the longer tank Spark, the Stealth as a badge engineering job for Sporasub and then the Sten 11 which shows Mares had lost the plot.
Cyrano parts diagram.jpg

Last edited:
The only info I had on the Skorpion was that user manual which I downloaded when they were still selling it. The back end of the gun is the same as the Omer Tempest, so the only big changes are the tapered front end tank and the small diameter muzzle/nose cone. That tapered front end made the gun nose heavy when loaded in the water, worse than the Cyrano, so it was not very popular. The Seac Shotgun shared the same fate, not enough buoyancy up front.

The original Cyrano came out in 1994 and introduced the 11 mm inner barrel. Mares wanted it to look different to previous models, so came up with the snout on the nose cone, which is why the gun is called Cyrano after the swordsman Cyrano de Bergerac. They couldn't allow high pressure air in the cylindrical hand hold section or it would break, so they added the inner bulkhead section. By having a void in there it provided some buoyancy rather than let it flood. The Cyrano has two "O" ring mounting grooves in the front end of the inner barrel, the front one seals the space between the two piece bulkhead/nose cone, the second one is the pressure seal for the front end of the tank. The spacing between them indicates how much tank length is lost compared to a Sten. Much later the gun was produced as the longer tank Spark, the Stealth as a badge engineering job for Sporasub and then the Sten 11 which shows Mares had lost the plot.
View attachment 60227
Hi Pete, for the Omer Skorpion I made a new thread.
I have also made 3D models of the piston and shock absorber and also technical drawings with the actual dimensions. Please have a look I bet you will be able to identify parts that will fit from other brands. I think Cressi is the best candidate for the piston (Saetta), shock absorber and seals (SL).
I have also designed a charging valve spanner which I hope I can print before my trip. I like the idea to use a hard plastic spanner to avoid damaging the thin chrome or anodization in case of the Salvimar valve. The opposite side of the tool is to scrape oxide and dirt from the valve sealing area in way of the pump O-ring. The 8.1mm hole in the middle should fit most 1/4" drive socket set extensions to use as bar. If I have a stubborn valve I use the simplest driver (3mm stainless plate with a M6 nut welded on it) that I can spin with a 10mm socket socket set. I secure the barrel with an hard wood choke in the vise.

Attachments

• Charge valve spanner.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Charge valve wrench.jpg
    Charge valve wrench.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Charge valve driver.jpeg
    Charge valve driver.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Barrel choke.jpeg
    Barrel choke.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The piston can still be purchased, it is the same piston as used in the Tempest. "O" rings will be the same for all parts in the rear end of the gun, only those for the nose end will have changed. Be aware that there is a Tempest gun sold for a period based on the guns made by Hang Fung in Taiwan, probably arising at the time Omer contemplated getting out of pneumatic guns,
omer tempest and skorpion.jpg
omer tempest comparison.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT