• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

O2 and CO2 tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

themike

Feb 13, 2011
I'm just starting out with static apnea tables.
How often is safe for me to do O2 and CO2 tables as a beginner?
should I do O2 and CO2 table on separate days?

Good Things,
Mike

Good question.

It has to do with the amount of energy you have and the recovery speed your body and mind has.
You see, just like training muscles, you need rest to recover, and more rest to grow and progress.
Thanks to the soothing qualities of water, it´s easy to over train in freediving.
Compared to swimming it may feels like double the tiredness you would have from aerobic swim training. Usually I come out of the pool energised, but when I get home the tiredness kicks in hard! Even though I drink and eat directly after I leave the water to allow my body to start repairs right away.

If you have a very good fitness, you can do a table a day, alternating between O2 and CO2. But in general I recommend just 2 or 3 tables a week. I like to do these in water with an able buddy at the beginning of my pool training. But as you will learn with freediving it´s very important to become sensitive to what your body tells you.

About the intensity of the tables. Go easy on yourself. Tables are designed to get you physically and mentally used to either higher CO2 levels or Lower O2 levels. You mind and body needs time and rest to adapt. Often your body or mind are not in peak shape, feel free to adjust the table accordingly.
That´s also how I approach training, when I am tired I start slow. Usually I find myself doing near normal performance at the end. Force and kick starting usually only gives more stress and bad feelings and association build up.
Honour your feelings.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Personally I consider a single table having very little impact. Some psychological impact perhaps, but absolutely no physiological impact. In the club, we do static wet training during at least a full hour (often 2) per week, even with complete beginners. OK, it contains some theory and technique, but several tables or other exercises anyway.

To gain some physiological adaptation, you really need to train several hours per day. At the later lecture of Dr. Joulia (who surveyed also Stephan Mifsud's training), he spoke closer about it. In one study, he measured the physiological adaptation of several groups during three months - the best it was at a group with dry apnea training 3 hours each day.

So yes, doing 2 or 3 tables in a week will help a beginner to learn some relaxation and perhaps coping a bit with contractions, but the training effect is minimal. Now, regarding the tiredness or over-training Kars mentioned, it is real, but very individual, and depending on your determination. A typical table takes around 10-15 minutes at a beginner, and the effect of such training time is really almost inexistent. I would not be afraid of getting tired even at much much more intensive training. As I wrote, even at our beginners, we train statics 1-2 full hours per week wet (plus some of them go on training dry), and I did not hear complaining any of them to be too tired by it.

Typically the hour training session contains some easy warm-up and technique exercises, and then often both hypercapnic and hypoxic exercises. Don't be afraid mixing them. It will not kill you. Finally when you go spearing or freediving into the sea, you usually dive during several hours, and are exposed both to hypercapnia and hypoxia too.

Many of the training exercises, and even the full-hours sessions are available in the training database in the Apnea Training Manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slein
Well, now I am confused, Trux. I thought for the most effective training you should not mix o2 and Co2 tables. But as you said, while diving you experience both and it makes sense to train for both at the same time then.

I also believe that I experienced problems with overtraining. Starting apnea last september I made it to 4:40 by the end of october. But, after that I often had problems getting even close to 4 minutes and I wasn't enjoying it very much. So now I reduced my practice to two tables a week at the most (besides that I started playing UWR twice a week). Moreover I started focussing more on relaxation, stretching and some breathing exercises and feel way better. Tomorrow I will find out if it helped, we will do a little CWT.

Reactions: jay cluskey
No table is purely O2 or CO2, it is always a mix with just the threashold between the two shifted differently. And I see absolutely no reason why you should not mix several different exercises in a single session. Just oppositely - I think it is the correct way to do. Personally I'd rather advise doing a 2-3 hours of intensive training once or twice a week, than a single table per day. The physiological effect will be better, and I think it will be less billing your psychics too.

Relaxation, technique, or a table up and then will help every beginner greatly, but if you want that your body adapts to breath-holds physiologically, the only way is pulling it through plenty of hours of training each week.

Did I spoil my O_2 efforts with CO_2 tables?

I mostly trained the O_2 tables during the last 8 months,
because this increases my apnea time most. Now I reach
the 5min-mark in try number 8 (2min breathe-up '484', 5
(diaphragm) purge breath's) safely with 20 slow strong
contractions during the last minute. But there is no more
improvement during the last weeks.

So I decided to switch to the following CO_2-table:
no warmup
2min apnea - 2breaths (- contractions)
2min apnea - 2breaths (- c.)
2min apnea - 1breath ( - c.)
2min apnea - 1breath ( 3 c.)
2min apnea - 1breath (23 c.)
2min apnea - 1breath (33 c.)
2min apnea - 1breath (60 c.)
2min apnea - 1breath (90 c.)

with (many) fast and weak contractions.

Now I can still do 4.45min in the O_2-table,
but the last minute stays and stays hard with
50 or more fast contractions! The slower, but
stronger contractions are gone and there is
more discomfort!

Hey what can I do? Does anybody know the problem
or: How to improve further?

Thanks for answers

Michael

What you can do is banda´s / empty lung stretches. This will make your diaphragm stronger (able to do more contractions while becoming lactic) and flexible, making contractions easier to sustain.

Also it´s a mental game, so work on that part. Avoid any calculation or estimation. Only in end check, without estimating how much you still can do, weather things are all right.

Also build down the number of preparation apneas, until you arrive in the no apnea warm up level.

I found that doing slow aerobic muscle warm ups, and gentle stretches help very much. But avoid high heart rates. Go Slow and flow.

Work on your self hypnosis skills.

Try to avoid having any expectation before the dive.

Thanks for all the information, There is a lot I don't know.

Dive4fun: The contractions you do during the CO2 tables are you doing those or are they a physiologic reaction to increased CO2? Are they diaphramatic contractions?

Kars: Thanks for the relaxation advice, I find that my HR doesn't slow until the 2nd or 3rd loop doing the tables.

Trux: What does 2-3 hours of intensive training include?

Good things,
Mike

Thank you for answering so quick (This is really a cool forum).

Kars, you are right:
The increasing static time during the last months leads to the
expectation that it goes on and on like this! But I think my abilities
base at most on my endurance swim training and I have to train
all these other things to go further (Is 5min some special-point?).
I found the following alternative CO_2-training, that avoids higher
heart rates (for me) and is some kind of breathing meditation:

1. relaxation breathing with diaphragm (not?) for about 2min or so
2. breathe out relaxed (called FRC?)
3. staying relaxed until some number of contractions (e.g. 6,...) and
breathe in partly
4. do 3. as often as possible (e.g. 5, 6,... times)
(How about some lung packs for the last ones here?)
5. breathe out and go to 1. as long as you like (1hour)

This one also has a yoga-name (*-kumbhaka-* or so)
I start with about 3 min without warmup going to more than 5 min
with one split breath. I will try these ones at home the next time and
I will see, but:

How to build down the number of preparation apneas?

Hey, themike:
These contractions are a physiologic reaction, but just let them happen. You can also modify them to push air the way you like, but it consumes oxygen to make them stronger. The training had a strange effect:
The first 15 or so got some kind of pleasant before, but this
changed after training the CO_2-tables due to some kind of
memory-effect or whatever...
To hold up to 90 contractions in this CO_2-table is very hard and this
change of contraction-type nerves. the slower ones were stronger, but
pleasant? Don't tell anyone else :t

Thanks to you both,
Michael

When using O2 or CO2 tables (either separately or together), how soon do you see the results changing in a positive way? I understand that it would depend on how often you use the tables, but is it a matter of days, a week, several weeks, or months in general? Or is that not possible to say "in general"?

In a study from my lab a few years ago, non-divers trained for 2 weeks (Effects of physical and apnea training on apneic t... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2000] - PubMed result). They performed 5 maximal-duration apneas separated by 2 min of breathing every day for 2 weeks. Breath-holding times and the diving response were significantly affected in a positive way by this training. I was wondering if the O2 or CO2 tables (that differs somewhat from the protocol used in the study above) would result in similar results or if there would be any differences.

/Johan

Doing maximum apnea's every day is very demanding for the mind and body. It's definitely not for everyone at every level. I couldn't do it today. So yes I think the workload is very high doing 3 max breathholds for 14 consecutive days.
Question did the subjects continue this schedule afterwards?
My guess is they were relieved and could use a break. Though they made a pretty numeric advancement, I suspect their technique hasn't kept up with their numbers. I suspect it relied more on persistent blunt force and willpower. What were your observations?

On of the goals of schedules is to present the learner with a mountable difficulty on which he can practise to climb, learning technique such as relaxation, tense and release, flexibility, staying calm with higher CO2, building up a welcoming mental association with water and apnea and more. I think it's tempting to go for the blunt, steep as you can approach, because of the quick results, but at the same time I think a lot of skills are skipped learning and the pupil will hit consequently a wall loosing motivation and maybe -worse- the love for freediving though the build up of bad associations.

What were your observations?

As far as I know, these individuals never intended to continue the training after the study was completed. They were non-divers and had no intention to begin training apnea. They just signed up for that particular study (friends of the investigators...). I agree it was a demanding protocol.

The diving response was more pronounced after 2 weeks of apnea training. The time til the first involuntary breathing movement/contraction was delayed, explaining a large part of the increase in breath-holding time. It was concluded that it had become "physiologically easier" to hold the breath, as the "physiological breaking point"/onset of contractions was delayed (at least partly because of the stronger diving response).

On the contrary, 2 months of physical (aerobic) training had no effect on the diving response. But still the breath-holding time was longer after training, but in this case due to a longer "struggle phase of apnea" (the period with contractions). This means that the subjects could endure the contractions more after the training period than before training (increased "psychological stamina").

But still I wonder, how soon would you see results in non-divers/relatively novice divers if they begun using the tables, say 3-4 times a week? I have no sample of subjects to draw any conclusions from, but I guess some divers with experience of the tables may have some insight?

/Johan

Reactions: ishuyi
When I started freediving 7,5 years ago, I did the tables, and to best of my recollection they were effective until I hit 5'30" ish. At the time I was not a tenth as knowledgeable as now, and my training was doing only 1 static session a week. At the start I used the more blunt approach of dry maximum breath-holds, hitting 6 minutes with a BO once. Something that had me puzzled. So I did NOT have a structured training, it was more haphazard and experimental. I also happen to like variation, so that is not conductive to conclusions to the effectiveness of tables.

Maybe write Umberto about the results of Table A and B training when applied to beginners with a regular training intervals?

About your experiment, I suspect that aerobic exercises also helped because people got more efficient breathing, increased diaphragm flexibility and endurance to the contraction movements. A few weeks ago I did daily yogic diaphragm stretches, and after two weeks found that the contractions were staring later, were much softer and easier to endure.

Maybe you can scoop up some apnea beginners here and have them use the tables for regular intervals for two weeks and report back their results and findings? It could be a pre experiment helping you to extract good questions and design the official next experiment.

Kars, thanks for your input.

In general, there is not much info in the scientific literature about different types of apnea training (for quite obvious reasons). Hearing about different types of training methods from various divers of course triggers an interest regarding the physiological responses involved (at least I'm interested in that). That's basically why I wondered about the performance development with apnea training with the "O2 and CO2 tables". Hearing about divers' experiences often can lead to a better design of future studies in this area. With input regarding how fast one could expect to see some performance improvement, it would be easier to design a reasonable study protocol.

So, if there is anyone else with experience of the tables that could comment on the initial development when using the tables, every input is much appreciated.

/Johan

Reactions: ishuyi
The effect of O2 and CO2 tables at beginners has great effect at beginners, but not really from physiological point of view. It is much more based on progress of the psycholigical adaptation, willpower, experience, technique, ability of relaxation despite discomfort, better breathing, better tolerance of the urge to breath, less fear, the realizing that a few contraction wont't kill you, etc, etc. Some kind of physiological adaptation in the sence of a bit faster diving reflex, is possible (or even probable too), but the main effect is still more psychological than physiological. Though it is still sufficient to progress from a beginner to a quite advanced freediver. This is amazing on freedving, that you can get to rather excellent results through different ways, and different approaches. Some get to the top through a hard physical training, other through deep mental training, others can get there with a rather lazy approach, and many use a mixed way. At least it is still possible now, but it will probably start changing quickly, as the training methods refine.

trux, I see your point and agree, at least to some extent. Definitely, you can improve markedly in the beginning by adaptations that maybe are easiest described as psychological.

At the same time, with my background in physiology I tend to focus on the physiological mechanisms behind the training effects. I believe that some (all) of the "psychological" adaptations are ultimately due to physiological effects. I mean, also our thoughts and perceptions are consequences of neurophysiological mechanisms, even if you can also call it psychology. For instance, "better tolerance of the urge to breath", could this be related to a reduction in the hypercapnic ventilatory drive by some physiological mechanism? Or changes in the CO2-buffering systems or function of the medullary respiratory control center? "Ability of relaxation despite discomfort", is that related to an overall increase in parasympathetic stimulation and/or a reduction in catecholamine (adrenaline) release? When a "psychological adaptation" takes place, how fast/soon will you see that reflected in a better conservation of the O2 stores? Will there be a detectable higher arterial hemoglobin O2 saturation after e.g. 2-3 min of apnea when you have trained with an O2 table for two weeks, or do you see such changes much later? How readily can the "spleen response" be trained?

These are examples of some physiological adaptations that maybe are quite easy to train? Speculations at this point, but that's why I wondered about peoples' initial experiences with tables. I don't expect to get physiological explanations for the performance developments, but would be glad for some insight about the time and "dose" required to see effects on the performance.

/Johan

Reactions: ishuyi and Piotrek
I have a very early urge to breathe, and stopped training static after my first 2-3 weeks. When I started freediving I was doing static training every day, have a spreadsheet of my max holds from that time I can email to you if you PM your address. Generally I would do three holds in the morning with a max, and I did the occasional CO2 table at night. Probably once every three days.

I found that my contractions started later after the first week - initially it was about the 1:30 minute mark, after a few days, that moved to 2 minutes and for my PB hold of that time (5:30?) it was about 3 minutes. I am sure I overbreathed for that one! I did that 5:30 after about 10 days.

For me contractions can be quite mental, once I knew they started at 2 minutes, if I looked at the time and it said 2 minutes, they'd immediately start. My heart rate doesn't start dropping until past 2:30-3:00, unfortunately I don't know what it was then - subjectively I'd say the physiological response is similar (maybe not quite as good, but pretty close) to what I have now, but now I can deal with the discomfort better. I think my improvements were more mental than physical - after the initial 30 second delay of contractions, it seemed to settle on my 'normal' threshold of 2 minutes. But, that could be explained by better relaxation.

EDIT: I know some divers who say after spending a month of depth diving their statics become much easier due to better DR. Depth seems to do things that normal dynamic or dry training doesn't.

Last edited:
Hi Johan Andersson!

Sorry for answering so late. I can answer your questions because
I wrote the tables down in a book (my german genes are both a
blessing and a curse (Mr. Monk)). The start of the training was chaotic
and efforts get most visible after some pausing-days:

First entry 4.4.2010, dry O_2-table with 2min pause:
1st contr. #contr. time
1.19 7 1.43
1.53 11 2.30
1.54 16 2.40
Second entry 7.4.2010 as above:
1st contr. #contr. time
1.45 12 2.22
1.50 15 2.28
1.58 23 2.51
2.03 25 2.54
Third entry 10.4.2010 as above:
1st contr. #contr. time
1.45 15 2.27
2.21 17 2.59
2.19 21 3.08
2.26 26 3.20
2.31 30 3.21

Hey, lets stop dumping this stuff into this forum :blackeye. If you ask me
what data you want I will mail it (Please don't ask me write down the whole book!)

My theory is that a human has build in abilities depending on fitness and ...
to hold his breath and these are liberated (?) by some kind of training faster or slower, but at a certain point (e.g. 5.20 for me at the moment)
the kind of training becomes necessary to go further and this was my question:
What is the next step if I did all tables, but I stuck at
5min with 2min breathe-up 5.20 with 3min breathe-up?
or:
Does the world master in static apnea still train O_2-tables of
the kind:
9.00m -2m pause+breathe-up
9.15m -2m pause+breathe-up
9.30, ...?

Enough for the moment, but search on!
The truth is out there!

Michael

Hey, lets stop dumping this stuff into this forum :blackeye. If you ask me what data you want I will mail it (Please don't ask me write down the whole book!)

Michael, that was even more info than I expected/requested! Thanks.

I would be more than satisfied with just some summaries regarding training develpoments, such as "I used O2/CO2 tables X times a week for X months/weeks and noticed improvements after X training sessions", or whatever people have the time or will to write.

Thanks to those that have contributed already.

/Johan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT