• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oceaner worth the price?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GreyishBeard

May 13, 2022
Hi all,

new guy here, so hello!

I started to acquire freediving gear again, was out for a few years and am now excited to jump back into it.

I've been recommended the Rec45 suit from Oceaner, but it has a ~$1000 USD price tag on it (custom tailored). I will be diving in relatively cold waters on the westcoast of BC Canda.
Before spending that amount of money, I want to get some additional opinions if it's worth it, considering double the price tag of other wetsuits of similar quality.

These are the specifications of it:
  • 6.0mm Yamamoto 45 neoprene
  • Super stretch lycra exterior coating with open cell interior
  • Two piece design – hooded top with high waisted pants
  • Reinforced velcro beaver tail closure

Thank you!

Ha, you are in the same boat I am considering Vancouver is so close I would love to support that business having the luxury of quick shipping and close customer support. I think their product is top quality. There is just no way I can pass up the competitive pricing and quality of product from Polosub or even Elios, and that is after enormous shipping costs. My first suit was a 6 mil smooth skin from Polosub for winter diving and I have been very happy with it. The more you think about buying two tailored suits at the same time, the less attractive that huge sticker price sounds. Perhaps one day when the Vancouver area gets it's cost of living under control we can see more competitive pricing, hopefully before they are up and gone. Hell, even the folks living in the Vancouver area that make YouTube videos don't even sport their product, not a good sign for affordability.

Reactions: GreyishBeard
Would you have any recommendations for a 6mm or 7mm wetsuit?
Hmm your physical location has a lot to do with it. I really like meister in Greece and sepa in Israel, but Ive been living in the middle east so that is buying local for me. I know a guy who got a bestdive wetsuit from Asia that he was happy with. I'll ask my Canadian friend what his was.

Reactions: GreyishBeard
I was thinking maybe a custom Elios. They seem to be decent and half price of the Oceaner. Any thoughts on Elios?

I have known several divers that purchased Elios suits. All but 1 were very happy. the exception got a suit that fit very well, but was made with smooth skin exterior. It tore when he was taking it off the first time he used it. Stick with nylon exterior and you should be very happy.

Personally I dive across from you on the Olympic Peninsula. I can get away with Imersion suits from scubastore.

I have to have custom suits. I went into a dive shop here in Southern California and let the proprietor measure me for a Polosub 5.5mm suit. I was apprehensive since it would be made in Italy, so what would I do it it didn't fit when it arrived.But it fit perfectly, and coat about $430 US including shipping. Later I ordered a 3.5 mm and it cost just a little less. Of course you would need a thicker suit, but if there is a shop near you that sells Polosub I'd suggest calling it.

I have ordered 4 different custom wetsuits for 3 different people of variety of thicknesses from Polosub and they all fit great. Unless you seriously mess up on the measurements a custom suit is pretty much a sure thing. Been using a 6.5 mil smooth skin over the last couple years and has held up remarkably well. Ordered a 3.5 mil a year later and it fits just as well.

Greyishbeard,
Are you planning to use the suit for apnea or spearfishing? The Yamamoto 45 rubber used in the Oceaner is more flexible and fragile than the Yamamoto 39 used for spearfishing. The Yamamoto 45 will be more comfortable (think deep breaths) but won't last as long.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT