• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Octo or not?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Tom,

The name calling I was referring to wasn’t specifically limited to your stroke comment, but rather to the general tone of all of your posts that I have seen on this forum thus far.

If you would take the time to read through many of the posts on here you would understand that freedivers, in general, are much more polite than the likes you’ll find on rec.scuba, the Tech diver list, Cave diver’s list, ect. It’s one of the reasons I like this forum, and freediving, so much- people are just way more laid back. Maybe it’s the hypoxia, but even when there are disagreements on this board they are nothing like the ones you’ll find on the purely scuba forums.

In addition, I think if you spent a little more time sorting through the posts you would see the decades of diving experience, technical and otherwise, that the divers on the board have. Many of us dive DIR, but not all, and many have GUE certifications, or belong to DIR only tech diving clubs. There are also some VERY competent tech divers on here who don’t dive DIR, but who also don’t bad mouth it- just as others on here don’t bad mouth them out of respect to their diving ability.

While you may have some valid information to offer, it’s your approach that people find most offensive, and not the general message that you’re trying to deliver. As much as I prefer to dive DIR, I find the demeanor of some of its advocates to be rude and put off more people than it offers to help. You may want to go back and dress up some of your posts to dispel this idea.

Jon

Reactions: Amphibious
Thank you Jon, I stand corrected to my approach and my mannors, to you , and the other readers of this forum. Sometimes I, and the dir crowd, do put feet in mouth sometimes. I have been been diving on a hardlined technical approach for a long and seen some unhappy things happen to people in this sport,especially now, when a diver get his tec. ticket in the recreational arena for a few extra dives and a few dollars more.Well, I apologize once again. I thought this was a technical forum not realizing that its a freediving forum;I guess.
Can you direct me to a real technical forum that I can slide into? Would be very much appreciated. Yid: Capt. Tom Yerian

Sure,

Have you tried the Quest list? :)

This is actually the tech section of the freediving forum. There are many of us who cross over between many different diving arenas- commercial, recreational, technical, freediving, spearfishing, photography, instruction, ect.

You might have some fun if you hopped onto Rec.scuba. :ko

Jon

this is fantastic - most action the tech forum has seen in a while. Good stuff!

More Posts More Posts!!!!! :D

Oh, and I forgot about "The deco stop" as well.

Jon

PLease tell me, why side mounts on one side can't get my head round that one! thanks for your time.... :ko

it's much easier to climb, hike, and traverse rough terrrain with sidemounts when you're on foot. some of our divesite are difficult to get into. it also has advantages when trying to squirm into tight places :D

unless of course you're asking about deco/stage cylinders....

I want to know why this DIR mob have there deco cylinders under one arm.
Please some one tell me ? I think i must be missing something please enlighten me :thankyou :ko

Hi mic, not all of us are a mob, just excellant divers! Now, to your question:the reason is very simple:
1. Because we carry our cannister lights on our right side. we route our long down under our light and around our neck.
2. Hose routing from bottles run smoothly from left side, not having a bunch of convoluted hoses crossing all over your body.
3. when driving a scooter, you have it anchored to d-ring for one handed operation, your bottles are not in the slip stream of your scooter allowing you a smooth easily manageable scooter ride. There you go mate!! simplicity, thats the key to safe technical operations when diving.

YID: Capt. Tom Yerian

Last edited:
Sorry guys after I read post today I saw the error of ''right side''. Made correction, '' left side '' is correct since bottles are left side mount, the hoses run unobstructed to diver from same side as bottles.

YID: Capt. Tom Yerian

Well what is all this DIR mob about!? Because as far as I can see they are all good at blowing there own trumpets ... O sorry I've said the Big word DIR let me stand up and Bow'........ : sorry about that Bad back, sitting back down now,let me carry on. Talk about my way or the highway! these guy's take the biscuit what a bunch of self opinionated stroke's

hold on I've got it
D.I.R. DIVERSE IRRITABLE RABBLE..... THATS BETTER :ko

If you dive with manifolded doubles with two regulators, adding the additional octopuss makes no sense, and just increases the potential faliure points.
As for DIR school of thought, I personally think that they have a lot to offer, but I was sometimes dissapointed by some individuals, who put more emphasis on "proper" or "politicaly correct" brands of diving gear, than to the holistic approach (especially the fitness part) to diving. but I agree 100% with minimalist approach to diving and to skill development which is necessary for tech (or rec!) diving.

Hey mate did you get the answer to your question on why bottles are mounted on left side > I wrote it up for you. Im not sure if is on rec. forum or tech. forum, but its there. You also had a question about deco ona 70 meter dive.did you still need the information? If you do it will take awhile to write it up.

YID: Capt. Tom YERIAN

''To Stroke or Not to Stroke,'' that is the question. Is it not, indeed, more nobel to be true to thine ownself, and to believe that thou hast possessed the inspiration of mortal man, to brave the abyss, yea, even to challange Neptune, his most high majesty, God of the sea!! :ko

Capt. Tom

Response to my friend mic; let us not be so sensitive guys, learn to be alittle loose,light hearted. In other words, don't be so serious! :duh

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT