• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

October Session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Simon_Reid

Jan 4, 2007
Hi All,

As people were doing so well with static training last Monday I have created some low O2 and low CO2 tables for the October session.

There are 10 separate tables, getting harder and harder, so you can try out a table you think you can do and drop down or step up if required.

They have been laminated for pool use and will really improve your tolerances to low O2 and high CO2.

James and Katie discovered the benefits of neck weights last session.

These are made from a bicycle inner tube filled with leadshot and a plastic buckle fitted to each end.

The advantage of this kind of weight over a more normal weight belt is this:

Legs are generally heavy and the chest when full of air is very buoyant. To be able to swim in the most aqua-dynamic way, the body has to be very horizontal with the direction of travel.

Swimming up or down the water column this is not usually a problem but when practicing dynamic apnea, the chest, being floaty, wants to rise.

To counter this we have to angle ourselves in a legs up attitude, destroying our ability to slip through the water easily.

The answer to this is the neck weight. So, paradoxically if we are swimming legs up, we need to weight ourselves above our lungs to bring ourselves horizontal. I had a hard time trying to explain this to a local guy in Kalymnos during the summer camp and I’m sure he was still not convinced at the end since he refused outright to try it out. He wanted more and more weight on his belt instead!

My neck weight is 2Kg. Katie needed only the 1Kg weight; whereas James needed both to keep him level, though I think 2.5Kg would be his optimum. So everyone is different obviously and needs their own custom weight, just as we have to adjust our weight belts to suit the individual.

I shall be holding a masterclass on how to make these (I think commercially unobtainable) items in the October session. They are very easy and quite cheap to fabricate. Now here’s one I made earlier……….. :)

Regards

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

The next session is on Monday the 1st of October

This week we shall be exploring a part of the mammalian diving reflex.

I shall be bringing a heart rate monitor and willing participants will be immersing their faces in ice water to demonstrate bradycardia (the reduction in heart rate) you will be quite surprised at the results.

The heart rate can drop dramatically during this exercise and once conditioned it is not rare for the individual to then voluntarily drop their heart rate simply by imagining/remembering the ice water immersion.
This ability usually lasts for a while after the experiment.

Don't worry, we won't be making the pool ice cold, we shall simply use a bowl full of ice cubes!

I shall also be demonstrating the fabrication of neck weights and will be bringing a couple along for everyone to try out and see the advantages of ballasting in this way for pool use.

I shall also be bringing along some newly created high CO2 and low O2 tables.

Regards

Simon

Doh. I can't attend this month. I really enjoyed my session two months ago as my first atser to diving and look forward to seeing you soon. Its just unfortunate that for the past two months the dates have been inconvenient! I am really looking forward to getting in the pool again.

Anyway I hope to see you in November session.
Hannah

Can't think of a better way to end a Monday than sticking my head in a bowl of iced water! No neck weight, please.

S-s-s-s-see you there!

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight. I'll be bringing along my copy of OceanMen on DVD again so if people want to watch the 40 minute IMAX movie (not on IMAX unfortunately) then we can do it first thing.

Ta!

Hi Guys, feeling really tired but i will try and push on through and attend tonight sounds like there will be lots of exciting stuff happening.

I found a pair of what look like reading glasses at David's house last night. They are quite multicoloured and very lightweight. I have them at my house now so are quite safe.
David didn't recognise them so if they're yours, let me know and I can post them or keep them until next time.

Regards

Simon.

Simon,

Mine! I realised I had left them when I tried to read the bus timetable at Crown Point!

Please keep them until next month.

Thanks for the very interesting evening yesterday. I now trust that when a barman says, 'Ice with that, sir?' my heart rate will drop like a stone.

I was well please to have competed the 2 min CO2 table as I imagined that I might only get halfway through it. Still find it hard to believe that I managed the last 2 min breath hold after only 30 secs breathe-up.

Last edited:
Simon ,Stephan , I left to get my taxi and never said good bye. I was totally amazed by what i learnt from all of you guys and feel really privaliged to be in the company of such knowledge on what ive only read about so far. I cant wait to get in the water!

Very well done James, your tolerence to high C02 will just get better and better and your breath holds more comfortable for longer.

Gareth. We'll get you in the water next time on the 5th of November. We shall start with some easy tables to see how things go and to give me an idea of what level you're at with your breath holds. After that we will use a more precise table for your abilities.

Regards

Simon.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT