• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

# of dives per session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

havi

Jul 2, 2019
Hello,
Are there a recommended number of dives for specific depth per session? Can there be too many dives per session, as I came across info that you should make 1 dive under 90m, 2 dives to 60m? I would be interested in 10m, 20m, 30m depths information.

Hello.,
I'm not a freediver, but I don't think there are problems, at least up to thirty meters. I know spearfishermen who do dozens of dives to those depths. Just make sure you are hydrated and recover between each dive for twice or triple or more the time of the dive.

Wait for more expert people on this forum.

All the best, Roberto

From a DCS perspective it's very personal.. the main thing is to respect the minimum surface intervals (depth / 5). I would teccomend no more than 1 dive for 60m+.

My friend Harry Chamas (freedive passion on YouTube) has a 200m of depth / session rule. This isn't for DCS, but he found that it's the most he can do without becoming extremely exhausted. The depths can be split up however you want. This rule works well for me too.

From a training perspective, less is more. With depth training in particular, focus is the key to improvement. I find that 5 dives is the longest I (and most people I've coached/ taught) can commit 100% focus to. My session consist of between 1-5 dives depending on what I'm working on. If I do more, I don't consider them to be training.. more like unwinding from training.

Can there be too many dives per session...?

Yes, from what I have read. While there is minimal risk of nitrogen narcosis from a single freedive to a moderate depth (say 25 to 30m), with repeated dives to similar depths (especially without long breaks between dives), you can begin to have nitrogen buildup.

As mentioned here, and as you already know, it is possible to experience it with a single deep dive:

I experience it for every dive past 60-70m.

I have read this advice:

Beyond 40 meters, the diver will experience signs of narcosis. It has been suggested by professional divers to limit freediving to 30-40 meters to avoid nitrogen narcosis.

But that quote does not address the fact that nitrogen accumulates into tissues* with repeated dives. It is not just the depth, but also the frequency. So yes, there is a limit to the number of repeated dives you should do even if the depth is only 25 or 30m.

* I have read that nitrogen builds up in the myelin sheath of the nerves.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT