• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OK guys - some advice please...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jep

Jun 15, 2006
Went down to Budleigh yesterday for the first time with my new Comanche 75. Strong SW was a brewin' so was starting to get a bit choppy and vis was about 2-3m. Tide was on the turn in.

I pulled out near to the far reef (as recommended by Jez) on this handy bit of kit I picked up from EBay...

06_1_b.JPG

Couldn't find the flag though so had to go out without it.. I was also a bit loathe to put to much weight on so used 10Kgs (I'm 110kgs with a 5mm suit) as I was unsure of my bouyancy and not too confident a swimmer - should have checked it first really...

I had clipped on 20m of polypropelene cord from B&Q which seemed to get tangled quite easily and also seemed too much for my needs as the float ended up miles away when I was on the surface..

I only had the line which came with the gun but there was no real instructions on how to tie the correct knots but I found examples on the internet which seemed suitable.

There were masses of spider crabs (1 huge 18"er on the way out) but I wanted to test the gun properly so ignored them. Bless my luck but I didn't see one fish except on the way back in. Which was circling about 6-7m down underneath me, think it was a mullet so I took a shot...missed and then saw the silver spear do a goodbye off the line and just lie on the sand glinting at me.:( I wasn't about to let anything go so I really struggled (not enough weights!) and finned down to pick it up, ran out of air when I reached it and just managed to hang on until I got to the surface, where I subsequently got cramp in both calfs and had to hang on to the float gasping and pulling on my fins to relieve the pain. nice.

The sea was getting choppy so I headed back to shore (large pebbles) where the sea happily dug the spear tip into the rocks and twised off the rivets holding the gun to float and left everything in a mess. Trod back on one of my fins trying to haul myself out, with twin rods of fire in my lower legs...

What a good start... any recommendations on smoothing procedures guys? (and please don't say 'take up golf instead'!)

Cheers Mike :wave

Reactions: podge
Well written Mike, made me laugh:)
I guess you need to find a experienced partner.

hey man congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!
you should consider yourself very lucky!!!
well, your best teacher is experience! you got an intense course in a few hours, and you got out almost unhurt! well, i can tell you that about 12 years ago on the first time i went spearing with my new gun, i "sent" my spear, in the same manner, i lost some gear, broke some, got injured, got cought in a net while i was down during a night spearing session.... well i can go on... what you need is motivation& alot of time in the water!!! if you have some spesific questions, here's the place!
as for a buddy, yea, its good to have one, but take my word for it, you& the sea will be together the best teacher!!!!

Hi Jep. Its happened to us all. I don't know what the sea conditions were like but I didn't fancy the forecast. Choppy conditions can be hard to learn in so don't feel too down. Hey, at least you made it back to the beach. My first time at Budleigh was quite an eye opener. Probably only managed two decent dives, the rest of the time was spent wondering where the hell the current was taking me and how I was going to get back!

Hopefully if I get a few more decent dives done (after today's 2 hours without sinus trouble) and there's a break in the weather we can go dive together. Budleigh can feel a bit lonely when your all the way out there don't you think?

Meanwhile, jsut get down to the pool and do a few laps. The fitness boost will help your confidence no end.:)

Jez said:
Hi Jep. Its happened to us all. I don't know what the sea conditions were like but I didn't fancy the forecast. Choppy conditions can be hard to learn in so don't feel too down. Hey, at least you made it back to the beach. My first time at Budleigh was quite an eye opener. Probably only managed two decent dives, the rest of the time was spent wondering where the hell the current was taking me and how I was going to get back!

Hopefully if I get a few more decent dives done (after today's 2 hours without sinus trouble) and there's a break in the weather we can go dive together. Budleigh can feel a bit lonely when your all the way out there don't you think?

Meanwhile, jsut get down to the pool and do a few laps. The fitness boost will help your confidence no end.:)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Jez - I was quite surprised by the reef as its quite wide at some points. Loads of kelp swirling round didn't help. There was a fishing boat anchored up at what I imagine to be the far end of the reef so I couldn't get all the way out. I could also see some guys on a dive boat doing the parallel reefs a bit further out - easy stuff!. Its those bl**dy rocks on the beach, they get me every time...

Lonely? - the gulls were all sitting out there watching and having a laugh! But to be honest, its quite a way from the shore for a newbie and it would be nice to have someone out with you for guidance and backup, so I'll gratefully take up your offer - I'll send you my mobile no. for next time.

I'm just recovering after a broken metatarsel (which doesn't help) so I'll heed your advice and do some laps to get fit again first. Mind you, I'm going caravanning near Brixham next weekend and might take the kids down to the beach for a couple of hours ..... methinks I might just pack for the occasion!

Cheers

Mike

get out with the lot as often as you can and keep fiddling with it until you are comfortable. Practice makes perfect and a dive buddy with some experience would be of enormous benefit.

Try contacting almostafish here on forum as he runs spearfishing courses in the Weymouth/Portland area if I've got my facts right. Try going out with some experienced spearos if possible and use your eyes and ears. Books can offer some guidance, "the Spearfishermans Handbook" by David Way is slightly dated now but still the only one written expressly for the UK spearo; do a google search as it is no longer in print. Most of all, practice makes perfect. All of us have beginners 'horror'' stories........In one UK competition alone I manged to twist my ankle in a rabbit hole in my eagerness to get in the sea, then, after realising I couldn't swim well, lost most of my gear attempting to exit onto a rocky shore then lost my car keys and then got sunstroke after falling asleep in the sun. Didn't stop me though rofl rofl

Great post mate
I know how you feel.

Almostafish is yer best bet, did the course with him and it changed the way I hunt.
Gave me a lot more confidence in the way I dive as well.
There’s no question the man has gill’s.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT