• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

old clipper speargun ???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ROSCOE

Jun 20, 2022
i bought an,from what i can figure, a clipper brand nemrod model speargun, made in 1970. it all seems to be there and the seals appear still good. BUT i just need to know how to fill it up with air. attached pic is of the model i have any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thx in advance, steve

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 655
You need the Nemrod hand pump seen below. These pumps are the same for the entire Nemrod range since the late sixties. Usually the pump bodies were anodized blue, but they are a silver colour for that model "Clipper". The “Clipper” was in production for a long period and went through a few colour scheme changes during that time. The pump seals deteriorate over time, so ideally you want one of the later pumps, if you can find one. These items sometimes show up on eBay.
Nemrod Hand Pump.jpg

You need the Nemrod hand pump seen below. These pumps are the same for the entire Nemrod range since the late sixties. Usually the pump bodies were anodized blue, but they are a silver colour for that model "Clipper". The “Clipper” was in production for a long period and went through a few colour scheme changes during that time. The pump seals deteriorate over time, so ideally you want one of the later pumps, if you can find one. These items sometimes show up on eBay.
View attachment 58042
Thanx alot for the info looks like I'm going to hv to fig out some kinda DIY way to fill this thing up. Do u hv any idea what the PSI is when it's considered full? And how many shots do u think I can get out of 1 full pump?? Thx again for ur time and knowledge. Steve

Pumping the gun up creates an air spring, so the gun does not lose air when it shoots. Those guns probably use about 20 bar or around 300 psi at the maximum, so 16 bar or 230 psi would be OK. The Clipper came in four sizes, models I, 2 and 3 with the latter being the longest and a mini-Clipper that fitted in a leg holster. That smallest gun was pretty useless except for shooting fish in holes and the holster was too bulky for wearing on a dive. Your gun is the mini-Clipper.

Pumping the gun up creates an air spring, so the gun does not lose air when it shoots. Those guns probably use about 20 bar or around 300 psi at the maximum, so 16 bar or 230 psi would be OK. The Clipper came in four sizes, models I, 2 and 3 with the latter being the longest and a mini-Clipper that fitted in a leg holster. That smallest gun was pretty useless except for shooting fish in holes and the holster was too bulky for wearing on a dive. Your gun is the mini-Clipper.
And 1 last ?,again thank u for time answering these newb ?, Do u know of anyone that has figured out a DIY way to fill this gun without the factory pump?

You need to buy another pump from another brand, say a Salvimar or Mares or Cressi pump and have an adaptor made to bridge between the Nemrod inlet valve thread and the front end of the replacement hand pump. The volume inside this adaptor needs to be small or the resultant dead space in the pump will be too large which means the pumping pressure limitation of the pump will be too low. As to what this means you can read this.

Reactions: ROSCOE
Pneumatic speargun pumps are not unlike bicycle pumps, except they have a bigger bore to keep the number of pump strokes required to reach the desired pressure down to a reasonable number. Bicycle pumps can deliver a few hundred psi, but the internal volume of an inflated bicycle inner tube is relatively small, so the pump strokes needed are relatively low. Consequently small pneumatic spearguns require a lesser number of pump strokes than the longer models due to the lower internal volume of their air tanks.

That's a Mini-Clipper. I had one. Very difficult to get a fish with one of those due to the short range. I would keep it as a trophy in my lining room.

As for pressurizing it, You can also get an adaptor made at a machine shop and use a scuba tank to fill it. Be carefull not to overfill it. As Pete said, 15-18 ATM (around 240-250 PSI) is more than enough.

it is amazing how much PPete knows about old spearguns.

Pete is the best! (y)(y):):cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT