• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Wife or Wise Advice?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
I am looking for your freediving "old wive's tales" for an article I am putting together with a mate who is doing a doctorate in something complex to do with the respiratory system. Basically we want to look at "myths" and "advice" such as "never eat cheese in the week before a comp" and see if there is any physiological truth behind them.

pleeeeeeese let us know if there is anything you believe in, or don't believe in that you think would be worth running a few experiments on..

thanks
sam

Here's one I fairly OBJECT: how about no women on boats?

well, I can't find any good reason for that (as long as they don't drive :D), but that's a well known old myth.

"Yarr! The sea be a harsh mistress!"

Here's another one, how bout 'no sex the night before'?
I don't know how it affects the respiratory system, but should be worth while/fun experimenting. for the control gruop that is.;)

I'm sorry I can't really come up with something really worth-while, my close environment is superstitious free.

I'll be glad to know how this thing will come out.
Good luck.

Originally posted by DeepThought
Here's another one, how bout 'no sex the night before'?

Hey Loopy - Any more "Data Points" ??

:naughty

Willer:D

hi

What about not doing statics on a full stomach ??

cheers

Originally posted by Amphibious
Hey Loopy - Any more "Data Points" ??

:naughty
Or lack thereof? :D

Advice from a Doctor to a friend of mine: Dont block your nose and blow to equalise. You will blow out your eardrum...:hmm

Ivan this is not a myth,this is absolutely true,after a full stomach approximately % 20 of your blood circulation will go to your digestive system vessels,this will directly affect your performance,and also with a full stomach your (abdominal ventilation) vital capacity would be affected.

"snorkels should not be used when freediving"

hehe that's a classic. :D

Full Moon!

What about:

"don't go freediving, when there is fullmoon!" ???

... the gravity influences the anatomy ...

What about the 90/90 rule?

If you stay above 90 feet and dive for less than 90 seconds you don't have to worry about SWB- or something like that.;)

Bananas are bad luck on a boat.:confused:

Don't do dairy on the day you dive.:p

Jon

"Hyperventilate before diving to fully oxygenate your body."

another brilliant one I've heard is...
"you shouldn't wear neoprene socks when using a Waterway monofin"

:head

...the sources shall remain nameless.... :)

Too much breatholding makes your blood tired.

( I'm not saying this is an Old Wives' Tale - might be some truth in it as it reached me via a credible source. I just don't know the science behind it. Conjures up images of corpuscles flat out on their backs with 'zzzzz's overhead..... :D )

You have to get your entry forms in for the next Freediver Open competition the day it is announced
(ie last week )

Definitely the tale of an old wife!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT