• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-2

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hey anyone seen one of these yet or has used the older TG-1 ?
Found a video review - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcllJe9kTk]Olympus Stylus Tough TG-2 Unboxing & First Look - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like a good choice for general everyday dives down to 15m (and would possibly be ok down to more?)

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ed

Watcha Ed. No experience of that camera but having had a normal yet waterproof camera in the past for diving I flogged it because it was very difficult to use with gloves on due to the size of the buttons.

That camera looks nice but will have the same problem. A diving housing has nice big buttons.

Hi Ed - not used that one myself but have the related XZ-1 in its box - PT050. Now we have got the hang of it, we're totally happy with it, (so much so that my wife has now bought one for herself).

We're only snorkelling photographers so don't play much below 5M (I know - barely getting our toes wet compared to the rest of u). Pros for us - good bright lens and quickish re shutter lag and so on (well, for a compact).

Main thing we love is the white balance setting = 'underwater' (not underwater mode or scene). Since we've turned that on using the colour balance correct in PaintShop Pro is a thing of the past.

If you're at proper depths you'll be using strobe but clearly we don't need to.

Best bit for us is that setting works fine when we do use flash. We think it produces nice colours at 5M but also at 1M i.e. we don't get the red tinge which was the bane of our lives when we tried using a filter or the 'underwater' scene/ mode.

I'd recommend this camera to anyone who wants a compact.

Cheers - Errol

hey Ed. i had an olympus mu tough and it corroded pretty quickly. i would only buy a camera with housing now - just to avoid the corrosion issue.

Hi

I have a TG2 with the Olympus housing. While there are probably (definately) better compact digitals out there as far a photo quality goes, my theory is that having a 'tough' camera is very useful when you are on boats and around water. I'm not a dedicated underwater photographer so I want something that doesn't need too much effort and care to operate and maintain. I think that if a hair gets in the housing seal and some water gets in (seems to happen to everyone by the sounds of it) then the waterproof camera wont be instantly ruined. Another huge advantage of this system!

So far I've only done a small amount of shooting with it but the quality and clarity are surprisingly good, both with and without the housing, photo and video. It is much easier to use with the housing and it feels much more robust with than without as well.

We looked at all sorts of options from the high quality compact digitals with dedicated housings, right down to a normal tough camera. This seemed to be the best compromise between cost, quality and durability. The highend options got very expensive very quickly and the normal cameras were limited in depth etc. Hope this helps.

Crusty

Mmmh - I was happy with my TG-2for 3 or 4 dives then it flooded ( no housing).
Of course it was 2 days past the return for refund date :-(

It's now gone to Olympus for repair.
I'm trying a Nikon AW110 now - hopefully it can survive more than a month.

I killed my first 'underwater' camera as well, by chasing fish well beyond its max. Now use the housing if the depths are likely to be more than just surface swimming/snorkelling.

Do you know what failed on the TG2, and how deep you were? I would appreciate the info to try to avoid the same thing happening.

... my theory is that having a 'tough' camera is very useful when you are on boats and around water. I'm not a dedicated underwater photographer so I want something that doesn't need too much effort and care to operate and maintain. ...
Crusty

Agree, this little cameras are amazing!

At the moment I am using Panasonic TS5/FT5 compact UW camera, which, I thing, is the best compact UW camera. In last 8 years I owned 14 UW cameras My UW Cameras - a set on Flickr I was very pleased with all of them.

Check my UW photos and videos:
Primoz P's photosets on Flickr
Primoz - YouTube

9205004613_db8026b542_o.jpg

9205006389_61816e0a6c_o.jpg

9207789430_138bb36869_o.jpg

8 meters deep
9207792060_9ebcbe65d2_o.jpg

9207805398_6cd6a86ac0_o.jpg

9204954629_bd7fb78cf2_o.jpg

9207739450_d07856d3db_o.jpg

13 meters deep
9207742558_7c182e8ae9_o.jpg

All taken during snorkelling/freediving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing! Really done a nice job there. I also have some this type of nice shots in my PC. I sure will must be next time post here. However, like all of those.

Video report from Egypt (june 2013):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoAWgKW-rrI"]Egypt, Hurghada (The Grand Makadi Hotel), june 2013 (Panasonic DMC-FT5 & FT20), Red Sea - YouTube[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT