• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMC IQ BC Any opinions ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

58jeff

Apr 26, 2001
My oceanic bc is starting to show its gray hair ( used to be black ) & it is time to update I dive mostly cold water under demanding conditions ( Monterey Bay ) I would also like to have a bc capable of handling doubles , when I was in Truk penitrating wrecks the rule of thirds put a serious dent in my exploriation time & I wanted more of a safty margin
Also when acting as a DM for open water classes I am always saddled with extra weight ( at least at the begining ) & could use extra lift capacity
Thanks in advance
JJ

Try This...

Well, i've been using Buddy jackets - http://www.apvalves.com since I started diving over 8 years ago (in fact I trained on one of those horrible old fashion "toilet seat" types) and have recently been using their "Profile" TD Jacket.

My opinion

I have used a lot of different BC's; my favorite is my Zeagle Ranger, with Tech shoulders. It is weight integrated, bulletproof, and extremely comfortable. It has over 500 dives, including lots of nasty commercial work, and is as good as new. It easily accomodates my twin 72's or a single tank. A couple of my hardcore friends swear by Dive-Rite and OMS, both with steel backplates. All these are harness-back-wing types, which I find are the most comfortable and hydrodynamic. They also all can be bought with different amounts of lift. 45 lbs of lift does me fine with twinsteels, crushed neoprene drysuit and 20lbs in the jacket. Zeagle has a 65 lb wing that would probably be overkill, unless you're wearing twin 120's. Cheers, Erik

To be very succinct, forget the OMS bondage stroke wings. Go to halcyone!! The only dive gear you will ever need to purchase. unless, of course, you buy something from a more advanced race of beings from another planet! since that most likly will not happen, go Halcyon!!! You will not be dissappointed!!!

YID: Capt. Tom Yerian :

Since the original question was asked in April of '01, I would guess he already has a bc now.

Had to reply to this string, he may still be reading this site;also, for anyone else out there that is thinking of buying or upgrading to a new bc/harness.Let that quick release buckel, on left strap at 200 + feet along with anyattached bottles and you most likely will be making a body recovery!Halcyon harness is full weave,no stroke suicide clip to contend with.it would be a much better system if they did away with the quick release. Those of you diving the oms, use a four inch double end slide clip to upper and lower d-ring surrounding the clip and you will be better off, the clip will prevent strap seperation incase buckel breaks!!!!!

YID: Capt. Tom Yerian

wow, cause you know I keep hearing there is a high turnover of OMS divers, yeah you know it's all over the news that everyone whering an IQ pack will die. if you belive that I have some land to sell you in Nunavut.....

are you an idiot or just one of irvine's little ass kissing wannabes?? I dive Halcyon equipment but I'm not about to bash people for buying an IQ pack. get a life.

Well, what an mouthfull from an Idiot wannabe teke diver who obviously wishes he could have been an Irvine wannabe but couldn't cut the mustard with statements like that.I guess being a second rate nobody recreational teke diver like you must hurt when your challanged, and confronted for your lack of knowledge and most probably your skills as a diver. Its jerk assholes like you that get people in trouble. Just sit back and read my emails and learn something. And, in that dark area you call a brain maybe you might live long enough to make that next deep technical dive to 60 fsw and come back and communicate some wisdom to your readers!! Enough said jerk, go play with your snorkel!

Thank You
YID: Capt. Tom Yerian (a DIR diver)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT