• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer "Airbalete" variable port muzzle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Now that more Omer "Airbalete" spearguns are in use I am wondering how the rotating muzzle covers are faring in terms of resisting grit contamination. I have found that large diameter (e.g. body tube size) rotating collars can pick up grit and score the underlying aluminium (or plastic surface) that they turn on because the particles can sit in the intervening gaps which are nearly flat (i.e. low curvature) compared to the grain sizes. This does not happen with collar diameters that have a much tighter arc (i.e. high curvature) like a spear shaft slider, where the grains are too big to fit into the curved gap unless they are very tiny in which case they are unlikely to bite into the metal and heavily score it, although they may jam the slider. Plastic collars also present the problem of grit particles embedding in the plastic surface and staying there, thus transforming the collar into a sanding tool which carves away a bit more metal or plastic with every twist. This is a difficult problem to engineer out, particularly if the underlying bearing surface is aluminum or plastic rather than steel, however if the gun never encounters the bottom then sand or other grit particles are unlikely to get into the muzzle area. Invariably a loaded pneumatic gun, which sinks, gets dropped sooner or later if you shore dive and at times get rolled around in the wave zone. Although the best intentions are to load the gun after crossing the wave zone on the way out and discharge the gun before exiting on the way back, it does not always work out that way, particularly when conditions change for the worse during the dive. Guns can also be laid down up on the beach where sand can be flicked or blown onto them on a windy day, almost guaranteeing that particles will reach places where you would rather that they did not go, but usually there are no gaps which cannot easily be rinsed out or which involve larger grain sized clearances between sliding or revolving items.

So how are these rotating muzzle port collars performing, assuming that users are even bothering to close them at all? Can they become loose or are they sprung-loaded to maintain tension on the revolving element even if some wear occurs?

My is gone, and the stock holes have been increased in dia and length.
more later...

Cheers. Don

My is gone, and the stock holes have been increased in dia and length.
more later...

Cheers. Don

I don't think the variable port is of any use on a 110 such as Don's.
Any power switch device makes sense only for shooting into rocky holes, or into the weeds, or onto smallish mediterranean fish that might be split in two if hit full power with a five pronger. Typical hunt of shorter pneumatics from 40 to max 85. Don's a blu water big gamer and did good to remove the muzzle thingy.

Waiting to hear from someone else...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT