• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Cayman HF 100

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
lol marinediver you make a good point :) but on the other hand if i remember the fish i use to catch only 15 years ago I wouldnt need accuracy, they were monsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortuanitly the fish nowadays are much less in abundance and much smaller in size. But yeah i have a tuna gun that my dad used when i was a kid. A big ol lumpy double handle wooden peace of "natural history" but hey it makes easy work of going through a tuna :)

i think 110 is a small siza

and my bad experience with t20 handle make dought the new HF handle

i think the new beuchat marlin is the best nowadays

Had to chance to feel the hf 90 in the water and compare it to my Gabbiano 90 this morning.My mates just got it 'as it came' and though it's very light,the muzzle is way too light so i suggested adding some of the weights to get it more balanced,then i reckon it'd be a nice weapon,but,i still prefered the feel of my gabbiano,heavy sure but lovley and smooth and i just love the handle size and shape.I'd buy the hf 75 though as an additional gun because properly set up there's no denying it's quality.

Reactions: spaghetti
As you see my friends it's mostly personal preference: Marindiver doesn't feel comfortable woth the Seatec handle, while Badlander loves it. Meshari had bad experience with T20, while I am okay with them. And so on, and so on.
But what kills me is that all european gunmakers are running towards the same direction: in a couple of years the classic french style arbalete will disappear, and all newly designed spearguns will look the same, being the only difference in the quality of materials, the stiffnes of barrells, the strentgh of trigger, but still all in the same design.
Actually, almost all the last two or three years new european guns show the same features:
-a handle similar to the C4 Monoscocca (Pathos, Effesub, X-Fire, Thunder, Cayman: all the same concept)
-a barrell that is a mix of old Omer master and SA raiguns (bigger mass and full length rail)
-A Totem style muzzle (which means: no muzzle, just a couple of holes for circular bands and two hooks to fit the line loop).
This standardization does not necessarily mean a technical improvement: it just means to me tha gun builders are following a fashion, just running behind a standardized taste of a globalized market. Let's see some examples of recently designed handles:
--C4 Monoscocca (the reference point)
SingleImage.aspx

---
effesub:
6212d1126680261-pathos-82-great-gun-effesub-blackblaze.jpg

---
Cayman
CAYMANHF.jpg

----------
Pathos
6441d1128408903-pathos-82-great-gun-kif_1642.jpg

---------
X-Fire
X%20FIRE%2004.jpg

-------
Thunder
image.php

---
As you see they all look the same. Comments...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and SanderP
Covert: never tried Rabi or RA (they're not available in my country). But I asked an opinion to Dave of Spearo Uk, who sells both Rabi and Seatec in his shop, and he said that Seatec is better for spearfishing in Europe (i.e. for european fish) :t

Believe me I did'nt intend to hit your national pride: South African guns are given a very high valure all over the world (especially in the Usa and in general in the ocean nations) so no doubt they are fantastic. But It must be true there's a right gun for every kind of fishing, fish and environment. It just seems widely accepted that european guns are better for Europe, while guns made in ocean countries like yours are better for hunting in the ocean. Or so it seems...
Gun exchange between you and me?

RA & RABI are most popular in Australia & Newziland also
in israel also RA are popular for those who dive deep but
wooden guns also
i bealive Marwan in Eygipt uses a rabi also
everyone with his way of hunting & feeling for guns :)
I must say i am sad for U about the stollen XXV gun :vangry
hope U get another one

As for the handles, they should look similar – they all are designed for human hand. And also thunder is just a budget version of x-fire,while effesub is italian maker of pathos ( with small differences ). It´s nice to see though that some manufacturers recognize importance of ergonomics and the fact that with possibility of even minor adjustments by the buyer, handle ca be used by manny people with diferent hand sizes. ( c4 Mr Carbon, Cressi Geronimo, and even OMER HF )
One must not overlook the fact that mentioned guns in this thread are product of higly comerciolized industry, big, inerted, proffit hungry, companies ( with few exeptions )
which are compeeting on global market and must follow it´s rules. When don´t have new ideas for improving product they borrough some from others, recycle old features presenting them as new, also make a few make up changes, put higher price, start a commercial campain and buyers are happy, convinced that finaly they found a perfect gun for themselves ( the moast of average informed aniway ) – and so on every season. Am I mistaken or Cressi Geronimo have very similar muzzle and bands sistem to OMER xxv gold ?
Remember, a number of years back, when they started to use carbon for barrels in order to minimize bending ? After a while, every company had at least one carbon model, the fact that most of carbon made barrels bended just as allu ones did not bodder them – they were selling. Ofcourse, we consumers contribute a lot – we were buying. People were investing in new spearguns even though old ones they have serve very well to them.
For the french typ arballete, yes in a while it will be very rare in production, but don´t worry, when market gets bored of this new design, and buyers be screeming for something new, most likely we will see glorius return of it´s classic design.
I don´t know if any of this make sence to anyone, but I tried to express my opinion as good as my english lets me.

Best to you all.
Marin

PS Everybody is complaining on hf that its maximum size is too short. Maybe its barrel making technology allows only this maximum lenght for obtaining the proclaimed bending factor.

i bealive Marwan in Eygipt uses a rabi also

come to think of it i use all kinds...cressi, omer, rabitech, riffe, c4, mamba and Mares...im sort of a collector of cool stuff:crutch
my favourte is the c4 :inlove of course then comes the Omer...they are both 100 guns... the rest besides my comanche 90 i dont use as often.... i got the rabi 120 for the deep sea trips where you are likely to see big fish, but i dont go on these a lot :head ...

...Covert: never tried Rabi or RA (they're not available in my country). But I asked an opinion to Dave of Spearo Uk, who sells both Rabi and Seatec in his shop, and he said that Seatec is better for spearfishing in Europe (i.e. for european fish) :t
Of course, he might just have a big pile of Gabiannos out back!;) Just kidding Dave:wave I think he also used to carry RA & C4. I quite like the look of the Seatec myself -- some of the Cornish spearos have them & rave about them.
(What do you think would be a good speargun around 70cm?)

Covert: never tried Rabi or RA (they're not available in my country). But I asked an opinion to Dave of Spearo Uk, who sells both Rabi and Seatec in his shop, and he said that Seatec is better for spearfishing in Europe (i.e. for european fish) :t

Like i said im biast lol

Had to chance to feel the hf 90 in the water and compare it to my Gabbiano 90 this morning.My mates just got it 'as it came' and though it's very light,the muzzle is way too light so i suggested adding some of the weights to get it more balanced,then i reckon it'd be a nice weapon,but,i still preferred the feel of my gabbiano,heavy sure but lovley and smooth and i just love the handle size and shape.I'd buy the hf 75 though as an additional gun because properly set up there's no denying it's quality.
I find my guns muzzle heavy, so a lighter muzzle sounds like a good thing to me - although I guess its a question of degree. Wouldn't want to drop it & find the loaded gun pointing up at me.:blackeye I suspect a light muzzle is one of the key advantages of the HF/HF2 design, as the barrels are not slim. Either way, I imagine it would take some getting used to.

(What do you think would be a good speargun around 70cm?)
I'll answer my own question: the Omer XXV 75cm is a superbly agile gun around 70cm. Yes it's a tad longer than 70cm but its also unusually light and slim (25mm barrel, super-slim handle) with a slim spear (6.3mm) that is 5cm shorter than usual; it probably handles sigificantly better than many/most 70cm guns. I don't anticipate needing anything smaller than this (I now wonder if the 82cm model might have been agile enough to be my small/"Dorset"/poor viz/pier gun!).

Any more news on the new Omer pneumatic gun? Anybody used one of the "reverse trigger mech" speargun designs care to comment/review it - I'm curious to find out if really are more powerfu/ harder to load/etc. or pretty much the same as a normal gun).

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT