• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Cayman HF Carbon or any other speargun!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tunny

Apr 15, 2008
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a new spear gun and have done some research but I would like to know some more about its closest rivals. :confused:

So I would like to know some pros and cons of its closest rivals, any facts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan

You might find something of interest on this thread http://forums.deeperblue.com/euro-spearguns/70591-omer-xxv-speargun-other-fast-tracking-guns.html
I have handled a few cayman guns, I think they are just great but some folk think them bulky!
I am a fan of mamba air guns because of the high power, low recoil & small size - a 90 mamba is the same length as a 75 band gun but has far more power than a single band 90.

Hi Foxfish,

Funny my Dad is fishfox! - This is the gun I was lookin g at getting any thoughts? Or similar guns out there?

Cheers

Ryan

Attachments

• omer_cayman_HF_speargun.gif
    omer_cayman_HF_speargun.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: stuckinsurrey
Tunny the gun you've posted is the Cayman HF, not the Carbon. They are 2 different guns.
The Cayman HF has the barrel made of shaped hydroformed alluminum, with ellyptical section and integrated rail, while the Cayman Carbon has a round section barell made of carbon fiber with rail on top of it.
There is also a third option (which I humbly recommend): the Cayman HF 2 featuring a shaped hydroformed barrel same as the HF. The HF2 is just slimmer, more manouverable and even cheaper if money is concern.

Reactions: Mr. X and milianman
Tunny the gun you've posted is the Cayman HF, not the Carbon. They are 2 different guns.
The Cayman HF has the barrel made of shaped hydroformed alluminum, with ellyptical section and integrated rail, while the Cayman Carbon has a round section barell made of carbon fiber with rail on top of it.
There is also a third option (which I humbly recommend): the Cayman HF 2 featuring a shaped hydroformed barrel same as the HF. The HF2 is just slimmer, more manouverable and even cheaper if money is concern.

I stand corrected - I am fairly new to spearing...

The money does not come into it when you reccomend a speargun just a bonus that it is cheaper! - What are the pros and cons of the HF, HF 2 and Cayman carbon in comparison?

If you don't mind me picking your brains!?

Cheers

Ryan

HF reel included, better shaft than HF2 available in a 130!
HF2 slimmer barrel, cheaper
Carbon... Carbon barrel is attractive and very slim.

Personally i think factory the HF in your prefered size (currently have a 110 and am supremely happy) 130 is on its way.

modified then probably the HF2 with match 50 aluminium reel and 6.7mm tabbed omer shaft in your chosen size, get rid of the articulated bridle and use dynemma and you'll have a very stable but menueverable gun with ample power to knock down big fish.

(cayman HF 110) landed a 12kg barracuda, large black spot tuskfish (6+kg) and has also landed a 24kg Giant trevally with very little hassle and still shoots straight!

can highly recomend these guns

DD

DD I believe the HF 130 is excellent for those fat strong Australian fish that you shoot down there, but Tunny lives in Southampton and he'll rarely shoot anything bigger than a 10 lbs bass.
This is why I suggested the HF2 (in the 90cm or 80cm length).
Compared to the HF, the HF2 has a slimmer barrel shape, allowing a quicker side tracking and pointing for "agguato" style hunting. And the reel I don't think will matter much, as it seems that nobody is using a reel in the UK (even though I humbly suggest to keep a reel for "just in case": it does no harm and it's a big help on the odd occasion you spear something bigger than the average).

The HF 130 must be a hell of an interesting gun anyway. I'd like to read DD's review about his big boy...:)

Hi Spaghetti,

Once again thanks for the excellent advice - I am off to purchase the HF2 80cm right away!

Thanks again

Ryan

Reactions: Mr. X
I have the HF2 aluminium gun in 90 size; very sweet gun in my limited experience, perfec for UK short vis fishing.
nice and easy for aiming, manoeuvrable in the water, not too heavy, although i find it muzzle-heavy slightly (in shallow water).
I use 18mm 22cm/23cm omer bands with it.
I'm very pleased with it :) reccommended!

Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
I have the HF2 aluminium gun in 90 size; very sweet gun in my limited experience, perfec for UK short vis fishing.
nice and easy for aiming, manoeuvrable in the water, not too heavy, although i find it muzzle-heavy slightly (in shallow water).
I use 18mm 22cm/23cm omer bands with it.
I'm very pleased with it :) reccommended!

More good reviews, thank you guys!

Cheers

Ryan

Johnny, do you use it with the given screw-in bands? If so I can give you a tip for sorting the muzzle heaviness feeling. Just follow carefully my instructions.

1-Get a bottle of wine.
2-open the bottle and put the cork in your pocket.
3-drink the wine.
4-grab your Cayman HF2.
5-insert the cork perpendicularily into that hole that's under the muzzle (the hole made for inserting the eventual circular band).
6-cork=more buoyancy=no more muzzle heaviness.
7-Repeat (you might need a spare cork some day.... :friday )

Johnny, do you use it with the given screw-in bands? If so I can give you a tip for sorting the muzzle heaviness feeling. Just follow carefully my instructions.

1-Get a bottle of wine.
2-open the bottle and put the cork in your pocket.
3-drink the wine.
4-grab your Cayman HF2.
5-insert the cork perpendicularily into that hole that's under the muzzle (the hole made for inserting the eventual circular band).
6-cork=more buoyancy=no more muzzle heaviness.
7-Repeat (you might need a spare cork some day.... :friday )

It's these little bits of wisdom that keep you so popular on this forum. I don't have a cayman HF2, and my gun isn't barrel heavy, but I think I'll try steps 1-3, and step 7 just to make sure you're giving good advice.

Reactions: spaghetti
It's these little bits of wisdom that keep you so popular on this forum. I don't have a cayman HF2, and my gun isn't barrel heavy, but I think I'll try steps 1-3, and step 7 just to make sure you're giving good advice.

Thanks. And don't forget step 7 on loop repetition on any odd or even day. :)

thanks Spag, yer i should do that, just havent got round to it ever - its not too bad really. cheers.

Just read the thread. I bought a Cayman carbon 75 a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love the gun. My only warning would be that the articulated "French" bridle that comes as standard, and the crimps on the shooting line, can damage the gel-coat on the carbon-fibre barrel by chipping and scratching - especially along the forward quarter of the rail nearest the muzzle. I've converted to Dyneema and home tied bands to stop the damage. Dont know what to do about the crimps though. I might try tied-on dyneema shooting line (but I like crimps:confused:). Its a gun you have to treat with kid gloves, but it more than makes up for it in terms of accuracy.
Laz

Reactions: Mr. X
Just read the thread. I bought a Cayman carbon 75 a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love the gun. My only warning would be that the articulated "French" bridle that comes as standard, and the crimps on the shooting line, can damage the gel-coat on the carbon-fibre barrel by chipping and scratching - especially along the forward quarter of the rail nearest the muzzle. I've converted to Dyneema and home tied bands to stop the damage. Dont know what to do about the crimps though. I might try tied-on dyneema shooting line (but I like crimps:confused:). Its a gun you have to treat with kid gloves, but it more than makes up for it in terms of accuracy.
Laz

I will direct Magpie to this problem as I think he has an answer.......

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT