• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer ET Roller 105 first impressions of new gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

myfish

Apr 29, 2007
First thoughts on the ET roller.

14.jpg

Look, I don't claim to know the ins and outs or the technical merits beyond what I've read elsewhere so take this for what it's worth.

9.jpg

I have a desire to target Black Bream in deeper water 10 - 20 meters. Knowing how skittish these can be and the recent vis reinforcing the fact that we DO get great vis here, I wanted a longer gun, without it being long.

All the technical stuff suggests a roller gun is on par with a length about 40 cm longer than the barrel upon which the system resides. So, a 95 would/should match a 130 and my chosen 105 should be equal to a 140.

That aside, I have a myriad of guns that I can compare this directly with an 105 ET gun and 2X16mm bands. This gun has 14mm bands, with dyneema sheet bended wishbones make detaching the bands a piece of cake for storage. Wishbone length change is also dead easy.

12.jpg

OK, this model has a 7mm spear and I rigged it with two wraps. I was a bit concerned about the rigging but after checking with a freind who has built and shot rollers before, he assured me, it was going to be OK.

14mm band is like EASY to load, even at the stretch of a 105. However...

Yes, the 'however' ...

Whilst loading is easy, as in stretching the bands, it's fiddly. I can load a dual 16mm banded gun in 1/3rd of the time. Is this important? Well, maybe for the competitive spearo, yes. It's like, awkward but that might be more because I'm not used to it. You hook the band on the rear fin (lowest power). This has to be done or you cannot grab the upper wishbone to start the loading.

Then, you easily load to the mid tab/fin. Believe me, you might feel safe leaving spearguns around kids and women but NOT this one. It's like pulling a strong elastic band. Then, you either load up the top band area to the trigger tab OR, you turn it over once more, reaching UNDER the shooting line and choose to load to the mid-power tab or, the furthest, high power tab before once again turning over the gun and loading up to the trigger tab. I did say it was awkward ... LOL

So, not for fast shooting if you are trying to drop on a shoal in competition with others on the same head of shoal and certainly not for weeded wading with your gun...

However, once loaded you have a gun that, after 3 target tests at various ranges, pulls the bungee at almost 5.0 meters on 2 wraps whilst hitting a small hard foam dog ball square on, leaving the flopper well on the other side. At full extension, the rig gives around 7 meters, or 8 good long paces with a double wrap and still it yanks the bungee.

In fact, the bungee going is the only indication you've pulled the trigger. Like shooting a laser really. It's a better gun than I'm a diver that's for sure.

Muzzle heavy a fraction but as more experience tells me, that's a good thing in any swell.

I've only wrote this so anyone looking at the design isn't perhaps as clueless as I was before I splashed out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and Jonny250
Great rewiev,thanks! Since Im occationally competing and then time is an important factor, the roller is out of the ecuation.But how is the plain ET? whats its range? Im looking for a fastloaded ,accurate and powerfull gun. Ive got a 105 black widow and its exellent,but a pain in strong currents beccouse of its length,figured if i went down to a 85 ET and doublewrapped it,it would give me the sameish range,but more manouvrebillity?

Thanks for the great review!
I rather fancy an 85 myself....

Thanks for the review Myfish. I'm interested - is the roller really much less recoil than otherwise? what do you think?

1 year update.

OK, though I haven't shot this gun alot due to my polespear endeavours, I have on occasion shot the gun with great results.

Loading is now a breeze. It was simply case of adjusting to it and now, with a loading band attached to the upper wishbone, I can load in two, or three fast motions. The bands are still original and showing little sign of visible deterioration, or, in performance. On 2 wraps, the gun still yanks the bungee with not too much spear drop at full length.

Inside 5 meters, the gun is a laser. Serious.

Is it muzzle heavy ?

Well, a little which I find is a good thing actually as it stabilises things in swell and cross currents.

My other guns include Riffe Euro's, Omer HF ( which I like ), Omer ET and a few others from Cressi and Immersion + a few Pneumatics for use with tridents in muck which I hardly ever use now as pole spear is pretty much replacing them. I do have a Sporasub SK40 which, is very light and floats with spear ON board. Supposed to be designed for currents and swell, I find the light weight a hindrance in such conditions despite the gun being super quick, accurate and easy to swing on target. Once there, it's a snapshot point and shoot gun or, any swell/current will impact any deliberate aiming. Thankfully, deliberate aiming is not my style unless deep and hiding where I once more prefer a planted gun.

So, the rollers are still smooth, the black finish is STILL black, LOL, despite many of previous Omer black guns not staying that way.

I hate 'reviews' as succumbing to being buyer proud and a justification process can sleight any real insights in the first weeks. however, I would still buy this gun today.

Reactions: foxfish
As for the recoil question ?

Yes and no. At normal powers, yes, recoil IS less. Maybe by 25% or so.
However, when our water goes gin (not often in 2014) and I'm using this, I load to 100% top and back to utilise MAX power. I would say, easily, the 105 Roller ET is the equivalent of a 130 X 2 16mm banded gun or, seems to be in felt/seen ballistic usage.

The point I'm making is, you'll likely ramp up the power from a standard euro gun of 90 -100cm anyway but, recoil is equivalent to say, an 18mm banded 90, but, with the real performance of a 130 twin banded gun. Hope that makes sense.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT