• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Size vs US shoe size

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lungfish

Go and do it
Sep 5, 2004
Hi,

Does anyone have any observations about the conversion between US shoe sizes and Omer footpocket sizes? I made an inquiry to Jyri at SpecialFins and he told me that my US size 11 translates into a 46-48 Omer foot pocket. He didn't tell me why there is a discrepency between the listed conversion US sizes which describe the 46-48 size as being similar to a US 12-13.... I don't doubt his assessment, I just wonder what he knows that I don't.

Also I am curious about other conversion issues related to different fins like Cressi, Mares and other lines that manufacture their own foot pockets.

Thanks you guys.

FYI, checked out the Performance Freedive site, think I am going to take their course. Any thoughts?

LungFish

checked out the Performance Freedive site, think I am going to take their course. Any thoughts?
I think that any newbie that can afford a course should take one. You can gain years worth of experience regarding safety and technique compared to the time it would take you to develop it all from yourself (without a live connection to a freediving community).
The PFD clinic has a really good reputation and tons of positive feedback, I doubt you'll regret it.

Re. OMER footpockets, the conversion is usually correct lenghtwise, however if you have narrow feet (like I do), consider getting extra thick socks and fin-keepers.

Re. taking a course is absolutly reccomended, it will save you alot of time, might prevent an injury and perhaps save your life.
If you are looking for a personal attention and pretty much one on one instruction please take a look at (the course I recently took):

http://www.freedivers.net/welcome.htm

Aaron and MT Solomons are AWESOME instructors.

Last edited:
Omer vs US shoe size

Howdy,
So you are saying that the 46-48 size is a correct conversion for a US size 11? I trust Jyri and understand that there are differences, I am just curious.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions regarding course work. I just finished travel arrangements for the Performance Freediving course in Kona next week.

You know, I have been a swimmer all my life. I had nationally ranked times and competed and trained at a very high level. I had Olympic coaches and went to swimming camps and seminars, etc. By that training alone I could swim 75 yds underwater, without fins, and manage static breath holds of over 3.5 minutes. However, the only apnea like training we did was hypoxic training and we never discussed deep swimming technique.

I am really looking forward to learning some useful technique, standards and practices.

A swimmer with big feet, what's new

Hi Lungfish,

Great to see an Ex-swimmer turned freediver, it beats the monotony of flip turns and morning practices believe me:)
I was also a Division 1 swimmer in college and it helped me tremendously with freediving, the only thing you need to be very careful of with such developed lungs is a black out, read and become well aware of how developing freedivers are susceptible to shallow water black outs.

On the fins, you're a 44-46 not a 46-48. You should have enough room in there to wear a 3mm sock with them too. I'm a US 12.5 and I wear a 46-48 Millenium but I can squeeze into a 44-46. Always use 3mm socks.

Well, all the best and safe diving to you and the rest of the fellas who responded,

Mark Laboccetta
OMER USA

Hi Mark,
Thanks for filling me in on the Omer size situation, I want fins that fit well so I will take your advice.

Yea, swimming training is a rarefied space. Anyone who has done it at a high level probably understands that best. Thanks for the advice on the blackout sensitivities. The freedom that swimming training combined with freediving equipment and technique can bring is especially apreciated by us lap swimmers.

Looking forward to the class next week so I can learn more about deep water swimming. Maybe I will get a chance to meet some of you folks in the future.

Thanks again,

LungFish

It sounds to me as if Jyri is probably right, the OMER pockets are very small compared to how they are labelled.

I am ALWAYS a size 39 but it takes me about 15 minutes of sheer pain to cram my feet into the 38-40 pockets on my specialfin..even with no socks. so much so that I have now sold it and ordered one with different foot pockets..

I would recommend taking Jyri's advice, he knows what he is talking about

Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT