• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Stingray Short - Quick review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

William Freeman

Dec 21, 2014
A few weeks ago I asked about the Omer Stingray Short fins, but on the Spearo thread. No one seemed to know them.
I eventually bought them from a friend and took them on holiday to Turkey. I've always had trouble transporting my trusted Cressi Garas as they won't fit into my suitcase and even regular Stingrays won't fit even taken apart, so I've been looking for an alternative when I'm not going on a strict freediving holiday. The short Stingrays do fit...dissembled. My wife doesn't freedive but she snorkles and I found myself to be pretty clumsy with freediving fins snorkeling around rocks and reefs. I do have some old Avanti Tres but I wanted something with a bit more power.
The short Stingrays are perfect for snorkeling and diving down to 10-15 meters. They're only 15cm shorter than regular Stingrays but those 15cm really make a difference in mobility, and surface swimming with them is a piece of cake. They be used for hours without tiring the legs.
Another good thing is that you can assemble the long Leaderfins carbon blades with the Short footpockets if you want to upgrade them later.
I can imagine them being great for shallow water spearos and beginner freedivers.
Anyone looking for a versatile fin should take a look at them.
Omer Stingray Short.jpg

Reactions: Devon
Thanks for this William. Pretty set on getting these. Could you tell me, is the sizing of the Stingray Short footpockets the same as the normal Stingrays in your experience? And also what size shoe do you wear/what size of these fins?

Hi Devon,
I wear size 43 shoes but I got the 41/42 size footpocket. That way I can wear them without socks or with 2mm socks. 3 mm would still work but it would be a bit tight. I only use the shorts in warm waters, but if I needed 5mm socks I would go the next size up, 43/44.
The footpocket itself is the same as the long Stingrays, but the tendons are 15cm shorter and a bit thinner. I just used them again in the Red Sea and took them down to 20m, no problem.

Last edited:
Thank you. Very helpful. Omer just changed their distribution regulations making it harder for me to get these in South Africa, but I'm gonna find a way :sneaky:

Hi Devon,
I wear size 43 shoes but I got the 41/42 size footpocket. That way I can wear them without socks or with 2mm socks. 3 mm would still work but it would be a bit tight. I only use the shorts in warm waters, but if I needed 5mm socks I would go the next size up, 43/44.
The footpocket itself is the same as the long Stingrays, but the tendons are 15cm shorter and a bit thinner. I just used them again in the Red Sea and took them down to 20m, no problem.

Hello,

im in the Proces of buying those fins, but have no chanse trying them on.
I have 42/43EU size, i will be using max 2-3mm socks, but the online seller recomends 43/44 so im a bit confused.
Is there any chance u tell mi your foot lenght and width in cm.

Regards Bruno

100kg guy with strong legs. first fins ever maybe i just had a different expectations (or very strong legs! :D ), but to me those fins seemed extra soft! great for surface swimming, great for small and fast kicks, but as "for me" underwater big slow kicks comes more naturally, didnt seem all that great. looked like bending 90* on every kick after one week of using it, i "THINK" blade already is showing stress marks right where the thinner blade part starts. white line with something like stress marks on it.

once more. my first freediving fins and maybe my expectations are unreal or thats how its "supposed" to feel, but if i find a replacement blades for those footpockets, (or have a chance to "try before i buy" different fins) i will definetely be looking at medium or hard blades.

footpockets? i have a very vide feet and they fit nearly perfect. wearing clarks shoes between 10.5 and 11, and footpocket 45-46 is ideal, if just tiny bit too big probably space for 2-3mm socks.
20171024_201818.jpg 20171024_201844.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT