• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer UP-X1 Umberto Pelizzari Freediving Computer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I will do another dive soon but...
It's great and automatically countdowns upon surfacing.
Replaceable battery, not sure about scratch proof and I'll be honest I don't want to try!
It's quite light and I will weigh it and let you know.

The bad.
You CANNOT hear this watch underwater!
This is a big complaint as this kind of kills the auto x2 etc surfacing time.
This is a real shame for me.

And a minor issue that syncing with pc syncs dives not just by date, this could be a small inconvenience if you dive off boats repeatedly all day.

I don't think that the speaker is that bad, I could hear mine nicely, but I must admit, I had only swimming cap (not the hood) over my ears.
How accurate is yours? Mine shows 4.8m in the 5m pool, regardless of the salt/lake setting.

I have only used it in the ocean so I can't give you an accuracy indication however it to seems accurate. I was wearing a 5mm hood and could not hear it. If I held it to my head I could hear it.
I wonder if the speaker is set to the loudest mode or an update via firmware could fix this.

You can hear it with little current, and calm conditions. With a 2.5mm suit and hood. The x2 surface alarm seems to no be working. I'll have another play around. Great watch though

So I just got back from Dahab (Blue Hole is paradise!), and I got to test this computer a bit more and I have few, unfortunately negative, notions, regarding this watch:
  • I really wasn't able to hear it, unless I was holding the hand with the watch on my face for equalizing (even then I was able to hear it just barely). When I was doing free immersion or using hands free equalization I had no idea the alarm went off.
  • Once the memory is full (250 dives) is full, watch just says Memory full, and doesn't write over the oldest records. This was partially my fault, because I accidentally didn't clear the memory before the trip. But I expected that it would write over the oldest items. And there's no possibility to delete some dives manually or delete it by day. This pissed me off quite badly because my last day, when I did my personal best, wasn't stored.
  • one of the screws holding the carbon fiber frame around the LCD got lost and part of the frame got tangle into my sleeve and broke off.
  • just one subjective thing - the HRM - it would be nice to turn the heart rate off and view it just on the computer. Altough I tought it would be fun to watch how the heart rate behaves, I foung it quite distracting - having high heart rate made me even more nervous and anxious.

So I just got back from Dahab (Blue Hole is paradise!), and I got to test this computer a bit more and I have few, unfortunately negative, notions, regarding this watch:
  • I really wasn't able to hear it, unless I was holding the hand with the watch on my face for equalizing (even then I was able to hear it just barely). When I was doing free immersion or using hands free equalization I had no idea the alarm went off.
  • Once the memory is full (250 dives) is full, watch just says Memory full, and doesn't write over the oldest records. This was partially my fault, because I accidentally didn't clear the memory before the trip. But I expected that it would write over the oldest items. And there's no possibility to delete some dives manually or delete it by day. This pissed me off quite badly because my last day, when I did my personal best, wasn't stored.
  • one of the screws holding the carbon fiber frame around the LCD got lost and part of the frame got tangle into my sleeve and broke off.
  • just one subjective thing - the HRM - it would be nice to turn the heart rate off and view it just on the computer. Altough I tought it would be fun to watch how the heart rate behaves, I foung it quite distracting - having high heart rate made me even more nervous and anxious.

Update.

Update. I no longer have the watch. On my second dive the FAKE carbon fibre sticker on th face peeled off. Tried to contact Omer who ignored me. I went back through the store and 4+ months later they got a new one in. Possibly Omer got lots of returns. I told them to keep it and I will wait for the next one.
If you don't care if the carbon peels off then get one.
The depth accuracy is about 80%. Good watch poorly finished.

Reactions: mikedab and Kars
I heard the complaint about the inaudible alarms now a couple of times, which seems to be quite common for different dive computers. I've an f10 and experienced the same, especially when diving with a hooded 5mm suit. I hope some manufacturers will pick up this issue. So I guess it's it's not an Omer-specific problem.
But I see the point that the HR monitor can be distracting. Maybe a firmware update could resolve this thing easily?

Has anyone tried the Omer UP-X1 computer?
Does the heart rate monitor save the heart rate during the dive so you can watch it later or does it only save the max, min, mean HR?
How does it compare to the F10 v2?

/Ulf

Here's an example of what makes the transfer of data on the heart rate monitor PC.

Does anyone have the same problem on the track of heart rate monitor to 1 minute and 30 seconds, ie a break , a measurement stop ? I joined you a screenshot of my last apnea ( a 100 meters in a 25 meter pool). Thank you for your feedback
100m apres séance hypoxie et cassure.JPG

Reactions: Kars
Here's an example of what makes the transfer of data on the heart rate monitor PC.

Does anyone have the same problem on the track of heart rate monitor to 1 minute and 30 seconds, ie a break , a measurement stop ? I joined you a screenshot of my last apnea ( a 100 meters in a 25 meter pool). Thank you for your feedback

Thanks for the examples!
It's cool to see those graphs!

I don't know what caused the sudden jump. But maybe we can figure it out? Have you seen such jumps before? Is there a pattern to their appearances?
It could be a data filtering algorithm problem. I've worked for Uwatech testing their HR monitoring dive computer at depth in a German quarry. One of things the researcher learned from my dives was that the data filtering should be loosened up a bit, as it was discarding HR numbers that where to far in variation the previous HR measurements. The filtering is done to get smooth graphs and to filter out bad measurements. The result was that when my HR was dropping fast, my graphs line became a strait vertical drop, because the intermediate data points where discarded.
Maybe your HR went down fast because your DR kicked in hard, and the monitor discarded the data, and simply drew a strait line to the point when the measurement resumed.

Another reason could be that the drop was right at a turn, and the strap did not record a proper measurement.

I am watching the graph again, and notice another strait line at the beginning of the dive. You know that as you inhale the HR quickly raises, and - again - the HR changerate is exceeding the programmed in allowed range of change, and therefor being discarded.
Maybe you can help the manufacturer with your graph and experience and point them to this public forum thread ;) They may be able to do a firmware update or improve the next version to be more accommodating to freedivers, who are known to have fast changing heart rates.

My question to you is, can you actually see what the measured data numbers where during these 2 strait line intervals. If there is data in those intervals, it may be the pc software that can be updated. If there are no numbers, I suspect it's the dive computer's firmware that needs a tune, and expansion of HR filtering algorithm. As a user I prefer that that the dive computer records every beat, and that the filtering is done, or not, on the pc.

Because of the two strait lines at those fast HR changing moments I feel rather certain it's the HR filtering that is the cause. Not a defective unit, but a design choice, limitation or flaw.

I'm looking forward hearing from you and Omer.

Love, courage and water,

Kars

Last edited:
Thanks for the examples!
It's cool to see those graphs!

I don't know what caused the sudden jump. But maybe we can figure it out? Have you seen such jumps before? Is there a pattern to their appearances?
It could be a data filtering algorithm problem. I've worked for Uwatech testing their HR monitoring dive computer at depth in a German quarry. One of things the researcher learned from my dives was that the data filtering should be loosened up a bit, as it was discarding HR numbers that where to far in variation the previous HR measurements. The filtering is done to get smooth graphs and to filter out bad measurements. The result was that when my HR was dropping fast, my graphs line became a strait vertical drop, because the intermediate data points where discarded.
Maybe your HR went down fast because your DR kicked in hard, and the monitor discarded the data, and simply drew a strait line to the point when the measurement resumed.

Another reason could be that the drop was right at a turn, and the strap did not record a proper measurement.

I am watching the graph again, and notice another strait line at the beginning of the dive. You know that as you inhale the HR quickly raises, and - again - the HR changerate is exceeding the programmed in allowed range of change, and therefor being discarded.
Maybe you can help the manufacturer with your graph and experience and point them to this public forum thread ;) They may be able to do a firmware update or improve the next version to be more accommodating to freedivers, who are known to have fast changing heart rates.

My question to you is, can you actually see what the measured data numbers where during these 2 strait line intervals. If there is data in those intervals, it may be the pc software that can be updated. If there are no numbers, I suspect it's the dive computer's firmware that needs a tune, and expansion of HR filtering algorithm. As a user I prefer that that the dive computer records every beat, and that the filtering is done, or not, on the pc.

Because of the two strait lines at those fast HR changing moments I feel rather certain it's the HR filtering that is the cause. Not a defective unit, but a design choice, limitation or flaw.

I'm looking forward hearing from you and Omer.

Love, courage and water,

Kars

Yes, I 've had this case on the same term apnea and always with the same pattern in the same timing. Each time this happens at about the same time ( 1 minute and 22 seconds up to 1 minute and 38 seconds).

I do not know if this is due to a heart rate monitor the problem of contact with the skin as this happens only in the third turn ( my turns are sweet, I turn to my left hand flat on the heart rate monitor must not be affected by the maneuver ) .

I enclose two new graphs and data files for those who have the power to open and analyze ( or Sporasub OMER ? ) .
Since the last update of the watch - UP OMER X1 and divemaster software ( 1.0.38.0 ) , the recovery time / ventilation no longer appear on the graphics of the PC which in some cases cutting the end of the dive 4-5 seconds (as in the diagram) .

Thank you.

Attachments

• 100m apres séance hypoxie-20152005 explications.JPG
    100m apres séance hypoxie-20152005 explications.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 100m apres séance hypoxie et cassure.JPG
    100m apres séance hypoxie et cassure.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Datas Apnée Omer UP-X1 GDO.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 305
/Ulf[/QUOTE]

I put the question to the whole community .

Happy owner and computer user " Watch Umberto Pelizzari UP X1 Omer Freediving "
I malheurement lost , misplaced the PC interface cable.

To my surprise , I find not only available for sale online.

Could you tell me how can I buy a new one ?

I am writing to OMER mail three weeks ago but no response from them ... ; (

Ulf, it is normal for people that during apnea their HR drops. The FALLING RATE of your HR I highly suspect is the issue.

To test this, you can do a frc dive, or empty lungs, static or very low speed so you don't need to turn or move. Because of FRC / emty lungs your DR kicks in much earlier and harder, and your HR will drop faster. This should yield another strait line, if the software HR filtering is the problem, which I suspect it is.

Have fun testing.

And thanks for the feedback!

Kars

Reactions: Longimanus
I recently made a sea trip in mediterranean with my club .
During a raid in variable weight to 19 meters and with a static apnea of one minute to the fund , I had a new straight line. I had no bend, just to slide toward the " abyss " with lead 10 kg . May be the FALLING RATE of my HR is too fast for the computer...

Attachments

• Hyeres_20m-2min40_jaune.JPG
    Hyeres_20m-2min40_jaune.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 367
You are lucky guy if you have this problem just from time to time. In my case it happens almost in every dive and usually what I got is a straight line, then drop, new straight line and sometimes a jump up.

I was trying different positions of the chest strap (lower, higher on my torso), I was experimenting with wearing the watch on my wrist and on the neckweight (stable position just about 10 cm from the receiver on the chest strap). I even gave the computer to two friends of mine to give them a try, but it was always the same.

What is more in November and December 2014 I was using it for the first time (in Dahab). It was working in this way so I complained and (after 3 months of waiting) I got a new copy. This new copy I was using in April/May this year - no change at all.

Look on to my graph.

Attachments

• 2015.05.10 - 53,7m.png
    2015.05.10 - 53,7m.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 369
You are lucky guy if you have this problem just from time to time. In my case it happens almost in every dive and usually what I got is a straight line, then drop, new straight line and sometimes a jump up.

I was trying different positions of the chest strap (lower, higher on my torso), I was experimenting with wearing the watch on my wrist and on the neckweight (stable position just about 10 cm from the receiver on the chest strap). I even gave the computer to two friends of mine to give them a try, but it was always the same.

What is more in November and December 2014 I was using it for the first time (in Dahab). It was working in this way so I complained and (after 3 months of waiting) I got a new copy. This new copy I was using in April/May this year - no change at all.

Look on to my graph.

Indeed, in this case the graphics more useless ... Did you check the setup of the computer the UP-X1 "log rate" (9.1.7 Setup Mode - Dive - Log Rate
). I put the manual in English attached.
I imagine that with a rate of one second this is much than 10 seconds on the graphs.

Attachments

• LOG_RATE.JPG
    LOG_RATE.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 341
  • manualUPX1_ENG_V-01.pdf
    487.5 KB · Views: 309
Indeed, in this case the graphics more useless ... Did you check the setup of the computer the UP-X1 "log rate" (9.1.7 Setup Mode - Dive - Log Rate
). I put the manual in English attached.
I imagine that with a rate of one second this is much than 10 seconds on the graphs.

Log rate is set correctly i.e. 1 second. BTW in case of 10 seconds rate the depth graph would have steps, but it dos not.

Doest it really happen just occasionally in your case? After trying two different copies of this watch, both of them working incorrectly all the time, I was beginning to think that UP-X1 was generally a crap and there is no reason to ask OMER to change my copy to another one. Am I wrong? Maybe I should do this?

Nitas, I think it's a good service to mail Omer, and ask for LESS HR filtering, or, have an interpolation an filter option in the omer software.
Also inform them about this thread. If enough consumers ask, the will be motivated to improve they HR feature.

Nitas, I think it's a good service to mail Omer, and ask for LESS HR filtering, or, have an interpolation an filter option in the omer software.
Also inform them about this thread. If enough consumers ask, the will be motivated to improve they HR feature.

I really doubt that OMER cares about that. Over a month ago one of my friends mentioned earlier (Grzes Fu) placed a post regarding this issue on OMER wall on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pages/omersub/49185380831?fref=ts They haven’t even respond.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT